Frozen French dog

Old December 20th 04, 09:14 PM
Robin Nuttall

Default Frozen French dog

Melanie L Chang wrote:
Don't laugh. I'm dead serious. Does anyone make thermal underwear for dogs?

Skeeter the Papillon has some very nice coats. One is a heavyweight wool
plaid horse blanket type with fleece lining from Foggy Mountain Dog Coats.
It was 10 degrees F this morning and I thought he was going to freeze
solid even with the coat on, poor guy. I think he needs a base layer or
something. Am I doomed to have to buy him some pink hooded sweater with
pompoms?

I think if he had something on under the coat it would solve the
problem. The Border Collies need their exercise so I either have to find
a solution, or leave him at home when we go out to play.

Okay this may sound nuts, but you might think, at least for the winter,
of letting him gain a bit of weight--fat is warm!

But no, I don't know of any long underwear. Does your Foggy Mountain
come completely under the chest? I would think that would help. I know
there are some fleecy things out there that velcro up the back--they
have fairly long necks and cover the chest/belly. But I've only seen
homemade ones...

Old December 20th 04, 09:19 PM
Christy

"Melanie L Chang" wrote in message
Don't laugh. I'm dead serious. Does anyone make thermal underwear for

dogs?

Skeeter the Papillon has some very nice coats. One is a heavyweight wool
plaid horse blanket type with fleece lining from Foggy Mountain Dog Coats.
It was 10 degrees F this morning and I thought he was going to freeze
solid even with the coat on, poor guy. I think he needs a base layer or
something. Am I doomed to have to buy him some pink hooded sweater with
pompoms?

LOL. Try this -

http://www.jbpet.com/Shopping/produc...sale&product_i
d=153-0292&category_name=ClothingSweaters

Or this -
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...10599&N=2001+1
13063

Incidentally, if you go to the JBPet page and look at all the sweater
category, there is a very Solo-esque BC modeling a safety vest.

Christy

Old December 20th 04, 09:34 PM
CCDOX

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/search...id=B9JD5E2DB8K
79NGMALRLDJQWTN9L7TNC&keywords=&category=183&anima l=6&name=&sku=&c=11

If this link doesn't bring you directly to the item, it's Jeffers Pet polarctic
jumpers. They cover all 4 legs; you'd have to talk to a customer service rep
(they have a toll-free number) to find out how much of the stomach they cover.
Dorothy, owned by C.C., a very spoiled dachshund
Old December 20th 04, 09:38 PM

In rec.pets.dogs.activities Melanie L Chang wrote:
Don't laugh. I'm dead serious. Does anyone make thermal underwear for dogs?

I'll send a note to Dianne S. She used to dress K.C. in something that
looked very much like doggie thermals.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old December 20th 04, 09:44 PM

In rec.pets.dogs.activities Melanie L Chang wrote:
Don't laugh. I'm dead serious. Does anyone make thermal underwear for dogs?

Something like this:
http://www.northcoastmarines.com/dog_apparel.htm

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old December 20th 04, 09:46 PM
Child

"Melanie L Chang" wrote in message
| Don't laugh. I'm dead serious. Does anyone make thermal underwear for
dogs?

| Skeeter the Papillon has some very nice coats. One is a heavyweight wool
| plaid horse blanket type with fleece lining from Foggy Mountain Dog Coats.
| It was 10 degrees F this morning and I thought he was going to freeze
| solid even with the coat on, poor guy. I think he needs a base layer or
| something. Am I doomed to have to buy him some pink hooded sweater with
| pompoms?

How about a BIG POLYPRO Sock, with holes cut at strategic locations?

Old December 20th 04, 10:49 PM
Tara

Christy wrote:

"Melanie L Chang" wrote in message
Don't laugh. I'm dead serious. Does anyone make thermal underwear for

dogs?

Skeeter the Papillon has some very nice coats. One is a heavyweight wool
plaid horse blanket type with fleece lining from Foggy Mountain Dog Coats.
It was 10 degrees F this morning and I thought he was going to freeze
solid even with the coat on, poor guy. I think he needs a base layer or
something. Am I doomed to have to buy him some pink hooded sweater with
pompoms?

LOL. Try this -

http://www.jbpet.com/Shopping/produc...sale&product_i
d=153-0292&category_name=ClothingSweaters

I just had a Cavalier out for an hour in a sweater very much like this.
Of course he also had booties on due to the frozen concrete and all the
salt that people had poured onto the sidewalks.

We were both pretty embarrassed....but he was warm enough to stay out
the whole time. Keep on mind that he was pretty much in motion for the
entire hour though. I don't know if Skeeter would be running with the
big kids or just watching. If he's just watching, how about a little
sleeping bag for him to hang out in?

http://tinyurl.com/4sk2b

Tara
Old December 21st 04, 12:07 AM
diannes

Melanie L Chang wrote:
Don't laugh. I'm dead serious. Does anyone make thermal underwear for dogs?

Something like this:
http://www.northcoastmarines.com/dog_apparel.htm

You nailed it on both counts. My beloved K.C. suffered from some
kind of degenerative neurological disorder and went from 92 pounds
in his prime to 60 when he died. Needless to say that with that
kind of muscle loss he had trouble tolerating cold. I ended up
getting a K9 Topcoat Arctic Fleece coat for him and it worked
out well. It's the same coat that's referenced at the link above;
the manufacturer's web site is at:

http://www.k9topcoat.com/product.asp?specific=jnnriqo8

The fabric is a stretchy and rather lightweight fleece that
nonetheless seems to be an effective insulator - when I unzipped
the coat, it generally felt very warm inside in comparison to
the ambient temperature. As you can see from the pictures at the
above site, the coat does comes all the way down the dogs' legs
like long underwear does for humans. It's also designed so that
dogs of either gender wearing it can eliminate without wetting on
it. It's reasonably easy to put on and take off; it took me less
than a minute once I got the hang of it. K.C. wore it almost
continually during the last two years of his life (including
indoors) and even at the end it showed no signs of wear.

There are 12 sizes starting at one for dogs of 4-9 lbs. up to
one for dogs weighing 110-165 lbs.

Overall I was very happy with this coat - it was an excellent
product and reasonably priced considering its quality. I have
no hesitation about recommending it.

HTH.

Dianne (missing my boy, who'd've been 15 today :-()
Old December 21st 04, 01:19 AM
CCDOX

Another thing you could do it take the arm or leg of a sweatshirt (child or
adult, depending on how big the dog is) and cut holes for the legs. The cuff
part is the neck, and you can either elasticize the back end or make a hem and
run a shoelace through it to tie it tight.
Dorothy, owned by C.C., a very spoiled dachshund
Old December 21st 04, 01:49 AM
Child

"CCDOX" wrote in message
| Another thing you could do it take the arm or leg of a sweatshirt (child
or
| adult, depending on how big the dog is) and cut holes for the legs. The
cuff
| part is the neck, and you can either elasticize the back end or make a hem
and
| run a shoelace through it to tie it tight.
| Dorothy, owned by C.C., a very spoiled dachshund

oooh, you are on to something - Melanie, what about taking the sleeve off
some polypro long underwear - or the LEG of the pants that I blew the knee
out of when I took a dive snowboarding?