Help- Wound Licking!

Old January 22nd 04, 07:27 PM
seashells

Default Help- Wound Licking!

Hi

Got a 8 year old Kelpie X Lab who got a bad deep scrap to her paw 12 months ago.

Since then she has lick her paw and made the wound worse...it's crated and we
have had her to the vet...tried creams and bandaging (She rips them off!),
recently had her wearing a plastic bucket...which did guard her for a while but
it's been 2 months and she has managed to get at her paw again!

Vets can't offer much...it's her behavior.

Was thinking of something we could put on her wound to discourage
licking...maybe on a dressing so she dosen't rip it off?

Help from Australia!

Thank you
Cheers
Seashells

seashells61(NOSPAM).optusnet.com.au
(Remove (NOSPAM) to reply)

Illawarra, NSW, NSW, Australia

My website

http://members.fortunecity.com/nightstick

http://mountainsplace.envy.nu
Old January 23rd 04, 01:15 AM
Lochiegirl

Hi Seashells

I have dealt with a dog with a similar problem, in that it started out
with a cut and then the dog continously licked at it for months.
After thorough investigation, the problem ended up being that the
husband had started working night shift and wasn't spending as much
time with the dog as he used to - so in actual fact it was a case of
anxiety which caused the constant licking (or self mutilation as it is
properly known as but sounds nasty).

Firstly, I will need to ask some questions before giving any advice.
1. When your dog first scraped her paw, did you inadvertently give her
more attention than normal. You must answer this honestly.
2. Did you ever try to comfort her or stroke her bandaged paw - paying
emotional attention to the paw?
3. Have there been any changes in your household in the last 12 months
ie new person, new job, changed home, new working times, another
dog/cat etc etc. Anything you can think of.
4. In a normal situation, how much attention ie. productive attention
such as training compared to just normal petting does your dog receive
on a daily basis?
5. How long is she crated for and when?

The above must be answered fully and truthfully if a proper diagnosis
is to be made. It sounds like an anxiety problem but I just wish to
confirm my suspicions first. In the mean time, whenever she starts to
lick at the wound/bandages, distract her with a loud noise each time.
Try to spend some more productive time with her doing obedience
exercises rather than just petting/stroking for the hell of it.

I look foward to your responses.

Lochiegirl
Great Southern Land (as well!)

Old January 23rd 04, 03:07 AM
Tricia9999

Could be a few things:

Lack of mental and physical stimulation. Kelpies need a lot of exercise! Labs
need a lot of exercise! Mental and physical.

There is still something in the wound that is bothering her. Maybe a foreign
body was left in the wound before it healed and is still hurting or causing a
low grade infection.

She became conditioned through inadvertent enforcement to lick at her paw and
this became an obssession.

Old January 23rd 04, 03:07 AM
Tricia9999

Could be a few things:

Lack of mental and physical stimulation. Kelpies need a lot of exercise! Labs
need a lot of exercise! Mental and physical.

There is still something in the wound that is bothering her. Maybe a foreign
body was left in the wound before it healed and is still hurting or causing a
low grade infection.

She became conditioned through inadvertent enforcement to lick at her paw and
this became an obssession.

shih tzu licking and chewing pgatoo Dog health 2 August 17th 04 05:09 PM
Licking, why? David H Dog behavior 0 November 11th 03 09:26 AM
Licking, why? David H Dog behavior 0 November 11th 03 09:26 AM
Muzzle Licking bb3 Dog behavior 0 October 7th 03 08:36 PM
Muzzle Licking bb3 Dog behavior 0 October 7th 03 08:36 PM