Aggressive ESS Followup (was: Snapping)

Old January 23rd 04, 05:20 AM
KWBrown

Default Aggressive ESS Followup (was: Snapping)

Hi, all.

Very bad day today. Teena snapped at (but missed) my 8yo when he jumped
into her space.

She went to the vet and got a clean bill of health. Who knew I'd ever be
praying for something to be wrong with my dog?

The vet's take: This is Very Bad and isn't going to get better.

I called the breeder and explained the situation, expecting her to give me
lots of good ideas for how to manage the problem, or to offer to save her
by taking her back... I was preparing to insist that she sign paperwork
promising never to let Teena near another child.

The breeder's take: When ESS get like this, it's Very Bad and isn't going
to get better. The poor woman was near tears, but said that in her years
in the breed, she hasn't seen these things respond to training in the long
run. The best she could do was offer to make the final trip to the vet
with or instead of me, if that would help.

Called my trainer. Her take: Let's stay on track with a week of boarding
and observation, but if the vet *and* the breeder (especially the breeder)
have such a negative outlook, prepare yourself for the worst.

The refrain from all three:

"That dog is a ticking time-bomb and you just can't take a risk like this
with your kids."

Damn, damn, damn.
--
Kate
Teena the ESS, Storm the FCR
Old January 23rd 04, 05:54 AM
Jo Wolf

Very sad news.... and I really do feel for you folks...

I once had to euthanize a young rescue dog, an apparent Dachshund x
probable Border Terrier cross that was a natural comedienne, very
bright, and showed such promise... In her case, the vet said it was
probably neurological changes; there were some subtle changes in
examination. I kept her after it was clear she couldn't be placed,
hoping that we could turn her around... but she started going after my
dogs, and then after me, all without provocation beyond existing... and
being told to go out for "last call" before bedtime. The vet insisted
on sedating her before letting me hold her for the final injection, she
was so nasty with the techs while they put the IV in... a definite
change in her demeanor. It was a wrenching experience.

It is never easy to make these decisions..... One way I like to explain
it is that there are some dogs with a mental illness that makes it
impossible for them to react safely to considerate, and even much loved
humans. They are suffering because they are unable to have a normal
relationship with humans. After all, these dogs were developed to work
and live in harmony with humans.... When there is no way to treat this
illness successfully, it is time to give them merciful relief through
euthanasia.

I like to think that these dogs will meet us at the bridge, mentally
whole again.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old January 23rd 04, 06:31 AM
Rocky

KWBrown said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

The refrain from all three:

"That dog is a ticking time-bomb and you just can't take a
risk like this with your kids."

I can't see that being the final call.

How did this happen in just a few weeks? It *has* to be
medical. If I was to tag Teena with any sort of label, it would
be "soft". Hell, she liked me and I'm a guy.

I know that you're not one to overreact, but I'm still going to
caution you to not be too quick on this. I can't recall
everything in the previous thread, but have you been to a
behaviourist?

Old January 23rd 04, 01:31 PM
KrisHur

Does she need to be pts? Can't she be rehomed where there are no children.
Plenty of dogs don't like kids and get placed in childless homes. Walk
through a shelter, plenty of tags say "Not good with children". Am I missing
something, is she also getting snappy with adults?
--
Kristen and
Kali CDX, CGC, TDIA, TT