From the latest issue of AARP magazine

Old April 21st 04, 06:48 PM
Nonie

Default From the latest issue of AARP magazine

http://www.aarpmagazine.org/money/Ar...ag-refund.html

Putting the Fun in Refund
May & June 2004

Eight ways that big fat check from the IRS can change your life!

exerpt

Bring Home a Best Friend

A puppy's floppy ears and oversized paws won't just tug at your
heartstrings. A pooch can provide companionship and encourage you to
exercise.

You could get a pup free at the animal shelter, but you won't be sure
if you'll have Toto or Marmaduke when the dog matures. If you want
specific characteristics, consider a thoroughbred. You'll pay $750 to
$1,500 or more for a pure-bred dog. Spring for one with great
bloodlines and champion ancestors, and he may even earn a few bucks
occasionally; stud fees range from $250 to $750.

Now's a great time to buy, as many breeders time their litters to
arrive in the spring, says breeder Linda Ciocci of New Haven,
Connecticut. Also, it's easier to train a puppy with lots of warm
weather ahead.

While at the breeder's, spend time with the pup's parents (the mother,
at least) and siblings to see how the breed behaves, advises Gail
Miller, a spokesperson for the American Kennel Club in New York City.

Three gentle, easy-to-train breeds: the Portuguese water dog (active
and won't shed), the Yorkshire terrier (small and intelligent), and
the greyhound (mellow and large). See dogbreedinfo.com or the American
Kennel Club's website for more information.

Old April 21st 04, 09:12 PM

Rich wrote:
Or go to your local ASPCA and pick out a dog nearly for free!

I've been in animal shelters - not rescues, shelters - that
ask for $150 donations for adoptions. That's still less
than most people pay to most breeders, but it's not nearly
free.

If the Bush tax cuts really create 300,000 jobs/month
through 2004, it will have cost $871,046 per job
Old April 21st 04, 09:14 PM
Tee

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
Rich wrote:
Or go to your local ASPCA and pick out a dog nearly for free!

I've been in animal shelters - not rescues, shelters - that
ask for $150 donations for adoptions. That's still less
than most people pay to most breeders, but it's not nearly
free.

I've found that the more rural, the cheaper (or free) the dog is where
shelters are concerned. Its $75, or was a couple of years ago, here in
Charleston. Drive west, from the coast, and the adoption fees get cheaper.
Go into a very rural community and you can get a dog for free.

--
Tara

Old April 21st 04, 09:22 PM

Tee wrote:
I've found that the more rural, the cheaper (or free) the dog is where
shelters are concerned. Its $75, or was a couple of years ago, here in
Charleston. Drive west, from the coast, and the adoption fees get cheaper.
Go into a very rural community and you can get a dog for free.

That's a good point - the ones I have in mind are in the NYC
metro area. At the county shelter here I think the adoption
fee is kind of high, but it's an ambitious shelter (I don't
agree with a lot of what they're doing) with high expenses,
plus it's a college town and that kind of skews things.

Old April 21st 04, 11:30 PM
Rich

There's also nothing wrong with driving a few miles and looking at animals
in different shelters. You can dog and price shop if that is important to
you. Good luck!

**Experts Estimate the Economy to Grow at a rapid 4% in 2004.**
**Without the Bush Tax Cuts and Low Interest rates, Growth would be -1.5%**

Old April 22nd 04, 12:48 AM
Earth2Fan

I've found that the more rural, the cheaper (or free) the dog is where
shelters are concerned. Its $75, or was a couple of years ago, here in
Charleston. Drive west, from the coast, and the adoption fees get cheaper.

I paid $80 for a pom 4 years ago in Wilmington, DE. Came neutered, UTD on shots
and with a free vet visit.

Elizabeth