What constitutes a 'trained' dog?

Old January 24th 04, 11:17 AM
Diana

Default What constitutes a 'trained' dog?

I was chatting with a lady on the weim forum chatroom & I asked this
question & thought it might be an interesting one to get a wider variety of
opinions on.

My last dog, Stone, was pretty much 'born trained' - she was compliant and
willing to please and I never really put any work in to her training at all.
We had a few games but it wasn't till near the end of her life that I
realised that she really wasn't very 'trained' at all. Her understanding of
word commands was quite confused (though i did tend to use hand signals
which she guessed on very quickly) but she figured that if I asked her to
sit, she could sit or lie and on lead she wouldn't get very far if she
pulled, but anyway, being a shepherd and a clingy one at that, she'd rather
walk closely beside us.

She was always 'good' - but not necessarily trained.

My weimaraner puppy is *much* harder work. The only one she's generally
willing to please is herself and so clicker training has worked very well
with her. At 7.5 months she knows far more words and hand signals than Stone
ever did and will differentiate between a sit & a lie down - we've practiced
this well & one finger movement can have her doing press ups!

But she is hard work - she knows the commands and she will chose to disobey.
(Occasionally she will get confused and offer an alternative behaviour -
that's different) When she is 'choosing to disobey she'll literally lay down
on her front legs & put her butt in the air - which I take as a doggie
translation of 'up yours!'

So what constitutes the trained dog - the one that knows most commands,
whether or not they chose to obey, or the dog that is compliant and willing,
whether or not they actually know what they are being asked to do?

Diana

Old January 24th 04, 12:10 PM
KrisHur

"Diana" wrote in message
I was chatting with a lady on the weim forum chatroom & I asked this
question & thought it might be an interesting one to get a wider variety

of
opinions on.

snip

So what constitutes the trained dog - the one that knows most commands,
whether or not they chose to obey, or the dog that is compliant and

willing,
whether or not they actually know what they are being asked to do?

Diana

The butt up in the air is a play position. I don't think she's saying up
yours (LOL) but saying lets play instead.

IMO a trained dog is one who knows commands and *obeys* them--a well trained
dog is one who obeys in the face of great distractions (holds a sit/stay
while you bounce a ball in front of them) and a really well trained dog is
one who will listen to you when in the middle of an instinctual drive
(obeying a come command when they are in the middle of chasing a squirrel).
--
Kristen and
Kali CDX, CGC, TDIA, TT

Old January 24th 04, 12:39 PM
Diana

"KrisHur" wrote in message
[..]

The butt up in the air is a play position. I don't think she's saying up
yours (LOL) but saying lets play instead.

Believe me, this is not a play bow - its very deliberate - will try & get a
piccie, it has me in stitches every time, which doesn't help I am sure!

IMO a trained dog is one who knows commands and *obeys* them--a well

trained
dog is one who obeys in the face of great distractions (holds a sit/stay
while you bounce a ball in front of them) and a really well trained dog is
one who will listen to you when in the middle of an instinctual drive
(obeying a come command when they are in the middle of chasing a

squirrel).
--
Kristen and
Kali CDX, CGC, TDIA, TT
www.kristenandkali.com

Cindy is doing well, her breed is well reputed for having a determind mind
of its own, and she most certainly has that
....she'll learn in fractions of a second and I believe she will do *very*
well in obedience as she enjoys being the centre of attention too

Diana

Old January 24th 04, 03:24 PM

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 11:17:50 -0000 Diana whittled these words:

So what constitutes the trained dog - the one that knows most commands,
whether or not they chose to obey, or the dog that is compliant and willing,
whether or not they actually know what they are being asked to do?

The one whose behavior meets your needs and desires and does not impose
upon others.

Diane Blackman

trained GSD rescue? Q Dog rescue 15 December 31st 04 02:20 AM
Is your dog is REALLY leash trained? [email protected] Dog behavior 30 December 12th 03 06:07 PM
Is your dog is REALLY leash trained? [email protected] Dog behavior 0 December 10th 03 11:17 PM
Is your dog is REALLY leash trained? [email protected] Dog behavior 0 December 10th 03 11:17 PM
Trained NYC Hawks Attack Chihuahua Shelly & The Boys Dog behavior 5 August 8th 03 07:56 PM