How to stop Golden Retriever from eating POOP??

Old January 26th 04, 01:43 AM
Ken Hartz

Default How to stop Golden Retriever from eating POOP??

Hi;

I have a 6 year old Golden with a bad, gross habit. When give the
opportunity, the dog will eat it's poop. This is not a new problem with my
dog, but it has been getting worse. It is most problimatic in the winter
when it (poop) freezes. The problem has gotten worse since I have had my
yard fenced, and I let the dog out, and I stay in where it is nice and warm.
I guess that when the dog is outside unsupervised, this has caused the
problem to worsen. Now I try to clean the yard every day, but the dog seems
to look, and scavage for only one thing, POOP! Today, after I cleaned the
yard, the dog did it's business and before I could get to it, it tried to
eat a fresh pile. This is a first. The dog is normally only attracted to a
frozen pile. During the summer, this hasn't been the problem that it is
during the winter. But given the fact that the dog now goes out, mostly
unsupervised at night, I know she is getting into trouble, and I fear that
the summer may become a problem with the dog eating poop.

I am sorry to have to ask for help on such a gross subject, but I do not
know what to do. Is there something I can add to the dogs food to
discourage the dog??

Any comments or help are appreciated.

Thanks
Ken Hartz