Rescue dog behavior problems

Old January 26th 04, 02:59 PM
David S

Default Rescue dog behavior problems

This is my first post to this group. I hope this is the right group for
the problems I am trying to deal with.
We have a dog from a local volunteer rescue group. The dog had been
running free when a lady took her in, so we really do not know her history
before that, however some of her behaviors make it pretty clear that she was
abused, probably by a man. The vet says she is probably about three years
old. She was pregnant when taken in, and the vet said she had puppies
before, so that is part of how they deduced her age. We have had her since
August. Just my wife and myself. No children. We live in a town house, so
no yard, just walks.
Two main problems. It is like the dog has rejected us. She is very
passive and will go anywhere we take her on the leash, but when off leash
she goes somewhere away from us. She will not stay in the room with us.
The main problem I have now is that she has stopped drinking water. About
four days ago I noticed that the water bowl was not going down at all. We
have been measuring the water to know for sure. I keep the toilet bowl lids
down, so she is not getting a drink that way. We had snow here yesterday,
and when I took her for walks she ate snow, so she did get some moisture,
but why won't she drink from the bowl. Also, when I bring the bowl to where
she is hiding out she bolts to another location. It is like she is
threatened by the bowl. Yesterday I tried a different bowl, but that did
not work (no surprise there - she refuses to eat or drink from any bowls
other than what we had when she first came to us). I also put down bottled
water, just in case there is something in the local tap water that she does
not like. No luck there so far.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. The email address is munged by
the way. I had a bad experience with a virus email that came via my
participation in another newsgroup.
Thank you.
David

Old January 26th 04, 04:40 PM
Suja

David S wrote:

before that, however some of her behaviors make it pretty clear that she was
abused, probably by a man.

That's only one explaination. That's what I thought when I first got
Khan, because he was just so scared of men, but since then, I've learned
that it could have been a general temperament issue (some dogs go
through life looking over their shoulder), or due to lack of
socialization during puppyhood. Are you doing anything to address this
issue? Just keep in mind that it can take a looong time (over 2 years
in our case) to see tangible progress.

Two main problems. It is like the dog has rejected us. She is very
passive and will go anywhere we take her on the leash, but when off leash
she goes somewhere away from us. She will not stay in the room with us.

That could just be her personality. If she is not trying to hide from
you (and that's not the impression I get), she could just be an
independent dog who doesn't really look to people for direction. Do you
know what breed she is? Khan is generally the same way, quite happy to
go upstairs and sleep in the bedroom even if we are downstairs. He
doesn't particularly care about being petted, and will in fact get up
and leave if we touch him for too long.

The main problem I have now is that she has stopped drinking water. About
four days ago I noticed that the water bowl was not going down at all.

Hmm. This could be a cause for concern. Put in a call to vet to see if
there is anything else you should look out for. Sometimes, changes in
behavior may have a biological basis. Now, is it possible that she got
scared by the water bowl? Maybe she slipped, or her tags clinked
against it? Have you tried changing the position of the water bowl to
see if she would drink? If you are really concerned, try giving her
something yummy - chicken broth (home made, no salt added) to see if you
can entice her to drink. Although Khan doesn't drink a whole lot in
general (and more so in winter), I always add water to his kibble, so I
do know that some water does get inside him.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Have you attended an obedience training course with her? Such classes
can be really useful in cementing her bond with you, and can help boost
her confidence. She will learn to act appropriately in new and possibly
scary settings, and you will also have a local source to turn to for
advice, someone who knows your dog. Who knows, you might discover that
it is something you and your dog really enjoy, and go on to do more than
your basic sit/stay type stuff.

Good luck,
Suja

Old January 26th 04, 05:43 PM
Tee

I'd recommend taking her to the vet asap. Since she didn't have a problem
with water before and you've tried the normal fixes by changing the bowl,
the location & the type of water, there may be something internally going
on. Dehydration is a concern at this point. As for her hiding from you, it
doesn't sound normal but then no one knows her real past. If she was never
raised inside and never kept in a yard on a regular basis, she may be the
equivalent of "wild" in that she just doesn't know how to be confined & be
content with that. That's a good question for a behaviorist but her lack of
drinking is a big cause for concern at the moment and a vet consult would
help.

--
Tara

Old January 26th 04, 09:41 PM
David S

Suja:
Buttercup is a mix. The rescue group told us a mix of lab and spaniel,
but I see boxer in her face too. She definitely does not respond to
affection the way one would expect. She is very passive and is not playful.
She does like other dogs though, and with them she shows another personality
totally. She wags her tail, jumps around, etc. No, we are not getting
another dog.
On the abuse, because she was running free we can never know what her
earlier life was like. She does, however, show some telltale signs. For
example, the lady from the support group told us that when they first tried
to put a leash with a choker collar on her she freaked out. Also, when I
pick up the newspaper she backs off from me, like she has been on the
business end of that before. So we cannot be sure, but I suspect she had
been abused.
One of the ladies at work told me that it could take two years for her
to get comfortable with us and to get over the behavioral issues. This is
our first experience with a rescue dog, so we were not prepared for that.
Looks like it will be some time before we see progress. The lady from the
rescue group also suggested obedience school. She said that would help both
the dog and me (ha). Things at work have been very busy, so that is not in
the cards for right now.
The bowl that she has been using is the same one that she has had since
we got her six months ago. I cannot see where all of a sudden she would be
afraid of it, or be bothered by her tags making noise when hitting it? I
did try a different bowl, and even tried bottled water, just in case they
put chlorine in the water or something like that. No luck.
Thank you for your response.
David