Dog barking while I'm talking to someone [long]

Old January 26th 04, 06:42 AM
jinxy

Default Dog barking while I'm talking to someone [long]

This has become a huge problem. My dog is almost 8. When out for our walks
we usually run into a neighbour. Of course the neighbour will stop to
chat..but my dog will start barking non stop the whole time. The dog will
sit, but will try to squirm out of it. His bark is a yelping, high pitch
noise.

It is to the point now where he is constantly looking behind him to see if
any car or person is coming. If he sees a car coming towards us he starts
barking ahead of time. All the neighbours have stopped having chats with me
cause it's impossible. I'm very embarrassed.

He loves everybody so aggressiveness is not the problem. He is attention
seeking.. I have cured him of this problem at one time. It was suggested to
me to take his lead and wrap it around his mouth gently so it acts like a
muzzle. This actually worked right away and lasted a few months. Now the
problem is back, and is way worse then ever. I did the lemon juice in the
mouth thing..(it didn't phase him) A squirt bottle did nothing. I have not
tried food because he never behaves during the problem time.

I need more suggestions. I'm thinking of getting a trainer to teach us
whatever then have him/her approach us several times. Wouldn't the dog just
get used to the trainer though?