Rescue dog behavior problems

Old January 26th 04, 03:59 PM
David S

Default Rescue dog behavior problems

This is my first post to this group. I hope this is the right group for
the problems I am trying to deal with.
We have a dog from a local volunteer rescue group. The dog had been
running free when a lady took her in, so we really do not know her history
before that, however some of her behaviors make it pretty clear that she was
abused, probably by a man. The vet says she is probably about three years
old. She was pregnant when taken in, and the vet said she had puppies
before, so that is part of how they deduced her age. We have had her since
August. Just my wife and myself. No children. We live in a town house, so
no yard, just walks.
Two main problems. It is like the dog has rejected us. She is very
passive and will go anywhere we take her on the leash, but when off leash
she goes somewhere away from us. She will not stay in the room with us.
The main problem I have now is that she has stopped drinking water. About
four days ago I noticed that the water bowl was not going down at all. We
have been measuring the water to know for sure. I keep the toilet bowl lids
down, so she is not getting a drink that way. We had snow here yesterday,
and when I took her for walks she ate snow, so she did get some moisture,
but why won't she drink from the bowl. Also, when I bring the bowl to where
she is hiding out she bolts to another location. It is like she is
threatened by the bowl. Yesterday I tried a different bowl, but that did
not work (no surprise there - she refuses to eat or drink from any bowls
other than what we had when she first came to us). I also put down bottled
water, just in case there is something in the local tap water that she does
not like. No luck there so far.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. The email address is munged by
the way. I had a bad experience with a virus email that came via my
participation in another newsgroup.
Thank you.
David