Training huskie light watchdog duties

Old January 26th 04, 06:05 PM
Brandon Harper

Default Training huskie light watchdog duties

Hello Everyone,
I am hoping to find someone who may have some experience with Siberian
huskies that could answer some questions for me. I have brought home a
huskie from a rescue for a week to see how he would like our family. He is 3
years old and just an angel. Everyone in the house has fallen in love with
them and he seems to already in 2 days accepted us as his pack. He is
housetrained and very well mannered but I would like to try to install some
light watchdog training.
I know characteristics of this breed is that they are not well suited as
watch dogs because of their friendly nature. If I could train him to simply
bark at people who aproach our doors then this would suffice. I do not need
a dog that will fight to the death if you enter the home, in fact if they
want in that bad then I would rather have him safe than injured by a
potential burglar. My goal is to train the dog to bark(or even howl) at
visitors who approach the home while we are not there and to investigate
sounds such as doors being rattled and such. I feel that as long as he makes
his presence known, that his size and wolf like looks would probably ward
off most potential burglars. One thing that is in his benefit is that he is
constantly looking out the windows of the home and he will bark at someone
who may be walking on the sidewalk but have noticed that this behaviour was
with someone who was walking their dog.
I have the time to put in his training but am looking for techniques that
could be used in order to help encourage this behaviour. Any suggestions or
input at all is greatly apreciated!

,Brandon

Old January 27th 04, 06:00 AM
Lochiegirl

Hi Brandon

I really feel you have the wrong sort of breed for this. Huskies and
any other Spitz breed dog are not bred for protection therefore their
instincts don't lie heavily in this sort of thing.

Another thing is should he start barking at humans, he will certainly
become a nuiscance and won't stop, resulting in a problem barker. You
cannot expect dogs to bark at one person but not bark at another
(unless you teach them to bark on command), dogs don't have the power
of deductive reasoning. They (all dogs for that matter) will bark at
everyone or no one at all.

I would re-think my plans with this dog or get a German Shepherd.

Lochiegirl

Old January 27th 04, 06:37 AM
Lynn K.

"Brandon Harper" wrote in message ...

My goal is to train the dog to bark(or even howl) at
visitors who approach the home while we are not there and to investigate
sounds such as doors being rattled and such. I feel that as long as he makes
his presence known, that his size and wolf like looks would probably ward
off most potential burglars.

I suspect that you're not going to have to train him at all to achieve
that. Give him a month or so to settle in, then have a friend
approach the house when nobody's home and report what happens. Very
likely your dog will carry on - probably in happy greeting - but
enough to deter entry by a bad guy.

You're right that they are poor guard dog candidates. A prowler came
into our house 3 nights ago. (No harm done.) Unfortunately whoever it
was came through the wooded back to my roommate's quarters and her 2
Malamutes and 1 Siberian didn't wake up or raise any alarm. It would
have been very different if they had come from the road to my part of
the house, to face my GSD and Rottie mix.

Lynn K.

Old January 27th 04, 02:41 PM
Gwen Watson

"Lynn K." wrote:

You're right that they are poor guard dog candidates.

As in they don't bark to set off alarm. If so then my parrots
certainly do a grand job at this. They are the best alarm
system in the house. And no one drives into our driveway
without Cisco, the very loud sun conure screeching.

A prowler came
into our house 3 nights ago. (No harm done.)

Oh my I am sorry to read this. That must have been scary.
I am glad no harm was done.

Unfortunately whoever it
was came through the wooded back to my roommate's quarters and her 2
Malamutes and 1 Siberian didn't wake up or raise any alarm.

Well that's enough for me to never want one. Not that there aren't plenty
of other reasons why not. Like their prey drive to cats. And or their
willingness to escape yards. And the fact that most I hear about
need to stay on a leash. Those aren't traits I personally want in
a dog. So I adore them from afar. They are beautiful, friendly,
intelligent dogs. Just not a dog for me.

It would
have been very different if they had come from the road to my part of
the house, to face my GSD and Rottie mix.

Lynn K.

Indeed. I thought R. was a dobe mix for some reason.

But I have a very good reliable alarm that is actually
better than dogs. If you hear the birds screeching you
know someone has driven up or has walked up to our house.

Gwen