Need help with scared/aggressive puppy - Long & one adult word

Old January 26th 04, 06:39 PM
Brandy

Default Need help with scared/aggressive puppy - Long & one adult word

Our 10-mo.-old sheppard/chow mix that we adopted from the pound in July came
very close to biting a 4-yr-old girl at our house last night and we're
terrified that he's going to hurt someone. He's always been skittish since
we got him (i.e., growling at everyone, running away from anyone who would
try to pet him - child or adult, etc) We've been working very hard to
socialize him and help him realize that people are okay and he doesn't need
to be scared. Overall, he's doing very well. He's not growling at every
one all the time, just part of the time now, he's actually letting SOME
people pet him, etc. I should mention that I have two kids, ages 6 & 10, so
we have a CONSTANT stream of kids coming in and out of our house. Last
night we had two kids over for dinner with us and the 4-yr-old girl was just
standing in the kitching while my husband was getting her food and Zeke (our
puppy) jumped at her to bite her. I was looking at her when it happened;
she wasn't doing ANYTHING!! She was just standing there waiting for her
plate. Luckily, my husband has good reflexes and caught him before he
touched her, but it scared the **** out of us!!! We love him dearly and
don't want him to hurt anybody. What can we do about this
behaviour????!!!!! Please e-mail me at Thank you so much.

P.S. This is not the first time he's done this. He attempts to nip people
semi-frequently, so it wasn't just this little girl. Usually this happens
when someone (usually a kid) is moving quickly around him or makes a noise
that startles him, but not always.

Brandy
Say goodnight Gracie... Goodnight Gracie