Best dog booties

Old January 27th 04, 04:42 PM
Michelle

Default Best dog booties

My girl Penny is having some cold foot issues, she is used to OR winters
WAY different than NM and has started lifting her feet when we are on our
walks.. then yesterday the Budmeister (a wimp to the core) did a full throw
down dead dog with all four feet stickin' out as to not touch the
ground...(hilarious yet pathetic) we have had an odd winter, who hasn't, and
are finally getting snow so I need to get them booties...
Opinions/thoughts on best type..I need something that will not get lost as
they go on off-leash hikes/runs daily..
TIA, Michelle

Old January 28th 04, 03:03 PM
Rox

I've bought both the Companion Road booties at Petsmart and Muttluks. My
dog doesn't really like them when they first go on but once we are in snow
she does seem to know that they are useful to her (ie she stops fighting to
shake them off and starts walking normally, she speeds up her steps to a
more normal gait, she doesn't try to run back in the house, etc.)

The Companion Road ones were easy to get on and off--which was not so good.
One came off CC's paw and I didn't find it til the snow melted. But, in
their defense, even after being in a snow bank for 2 weeks that little
bootie was still in perfect shape.

The Muttluks are harder to get on but they do stay on better. They have a
ribbed cuff above the waterproof bootie that helps keep them on and keep
snow out. They also protect higher up CC's leg but she's a toy poodle. They
have a pretty good website you can check. It's a little extra work but I
think it's worth it. Just one caution--they have some pretty strong Velcro
(to hold them around the dog's ankle) that can catch on carpeting so be
careful where you put them on. I made that mistake once and CC was stuck to
the living room rug. She looked so pitiful.

Old January 28th 04, 03:45 PM
Michelle

"Rox" wrote in message

SNIP
The Muttluks are harder to get on but they do stay on better. They have a
ribbed cuff above the waterproof bootie that helps keep them on and keep
snow out. They also protect higher up CC's leg but she's a toy poodle.

They
have a pretty good website you can check. It's a little extra work but I
think it's worth it. Just one caution--they have some pretty strong

Velcro
(to hold them around the dog's ankle) that can catch on carpeting so be
careful where you put them on. I made that mistake once and CC was stuck

the living room rug. She looked so pitiful.

Thanks I will look into the Muttluks, my house is all hardwoods but
thanks for the carpet warning and the laugh sorry it was at your dogs
expense...
I seem to get more responses to OT posts in this group than actual dog
questions...
Thanks again, Michelle

Old January 28th 04, 05:20 PM
Chris Jung

"Michelle" wrote in message
My girl Penny is having some cold foot issues, she is used to OR winters
WAY different than NM and has started lifting her feet when we are on our
walks.. then yesterday the Budmeister (a wimp to the core) did a full

throw
down dead dog with all four feet stickin' out as to not touch the
ground...(hilarious yet pathetic) we have had an odd winter, who hasn't,

and
are finally getting snow so I need to get them booties...
Opinions/thoughts on best type..I need something that will not get lost

as
they go on off-leash hikes/runs daily..
TIA, Michelle

I bought Pablo & Zeffie's dog booties from www.dogbooties.com . They are
quite reasonable in price. From my personal experience the thinner the
material the better. We like the Spandura set much better than the Polar
Fleece/Cordura set. Thick fabric such as Polarfleece tends to bunch up when
strapping them on and snow tends to collect in the excess fabric above the
velcro. Also heavy fabrics tend to suck up the water but the Spandura
doesn't. Pablo wears the Spandura booties while running/ hiking in deep
snow and they've never come off. He does a pretty good imitation of a high
stepping Saddlebred horse when we first put them on but is completely fine
once outside.

Chris and her smoothies,
Zeffie & Pablo