need advice pls for aggressive behavior

Old January 28th 04, 12:31 AM
Brandy

Default need advice pls for aggressive behavior

Our 10-mo.-old sheppard/chow mix that we adopted from the pound in July came
very close to biting a 4-yr-old girl at our house last night and we're
terrified that he's going to hurt someone. He's always been skittish since
we got him (i.e., growling at everyone, running away from anyone who would
try to pet him - child or adult, etc) We've been working very hard to
socialize him and help him realize that people are okay and he doesn't need
to be scared. Overall, he's doing very well. He's not growling at everyone
all the time, just part of the time now, he's actually letting SOME people
pet him, etc. I should mention that I have two kids, ages 6 & 10, so
we have a CONSTANT stream of kids coming in and out of our house. Last
night we had two kids over for dinner with us and the 4-yr-old girl was just
standing in the kitching while my husband was getting her food and Zeke (our
puppy) jumped at her to bite her. I was looking at her when it happened;
she wasn't doing ANYTHING!! She was just standing there waiting for her
plate. Luckily, my husband has good reflexes and caught him before he
touched her, but it scared the crap out of us!!! We love him dearly and
don't want him to hurt anybody. What can we do about this
behaviour????!!!!! Please e-mail me at Thank you so much.

P.S. This is not the first time he's done this. He attempts to nip people
semi-frequently, so it wasn't just this little girl. Usually this happens
when someone (usually a kid) is moving quickly around him or makes a noise
that startles him, but not always

Brandy
Say goodnight Gracie... Goodnight Gracie

Old January 28th 04, 10:37 AM
Diana

"Brandy" wrote in message
Our 10-mo.-old sheppard/chow mix that we adopted from the pound in July

came
very close to biting a 4-yr-old girl at our house last night and we're
terrified that he's going to hurt someone. He's always been skittish

since
we got him (i.e., growling at everyone, running away from anyone who would
try to pet him - child or adult, etc) We've been working very hard to

[..]

so much.

P.S. This is not the first time he's done this. He attempts to nip

people
semi-frequently, so it wasn't just this little girl. Usually this happens
when someone (usually a kid) is moving quickly around him or makes a noise
that startles him, but not always

Take him to a vet to rule out any physical causes. Buy a basket muzzle so
that you can guarantee he can't hurt anyone, baby gate your house so that he
can be kept away from children and ask your vet to refer you to a qualified
pet behaviour counsellor, such as a member of the apbc.

Good luck - not a nice one for you and I would be a little disappointed in
the shelter for adopting a skittish dog to a family with children

Diana

Old January 28th 04, 01:40 PM
KrisHur

"Brandy" wrote in message
[...]

I hate to say it, but I would not have this particular dog in a house with
kids--especially when lots of other kids are coming and going. I just
wouldn't take the chance of him making contact; especially since he's snappy
with people and always has been. I realize your dog is a chow mix, but chows
are known to not be good with kids. My brother still has three scars on his
face when our rescued chow bit him in the face as a child--one scar only an
inch from his eye.

--
Kristen and
Kali CDX, CGC, TDIA, TT

Old January 28th 04, 05:14 PM
Michelle

"Diana" wrote in message

"Brandy" wrote in message
[...]

IME shelters hand dogs to anyone with the money... I would have to
question why a family with kids would adopt a Chow mix.... It is no secret
that Chows can be temperamental especailly with kids.... I too would
recommend a pet behaviour counsellor after a check with the vet..
Michelle