urgent clicker questions

Old January 28th 04, 02:10 PM
CaptRon

Default urgent clicker questions

Well, I began training with the clicker last night. So now Ive got a few
questions.

1) It was amazing watching Rayden's reaction. Following the
instructions with the clicker, the first 2-3 sessions are "click = treat"
Just click treat click treat. Rayden would watch, looking from my face to
the clicker. So I just started clicking each time he made eye contact.
After the 25 clicks (recommended first session) he was burning holes in my
head he was staring at me so hard.

2) Cypher (1 year old lab mix) had quite the opposite reaction. He was
sitting on the floor and I gave him click and a treat. He stared treats to
clicker, waiting. click treat click treat. But around #7, he started
acting afraid and cringing every time I clicked. 3 clicks later, he wouldnt
even look at/accept a treat and just cringed on the floor. I waited a
couple hours, put tape on the clicker to soften the sound, as recommended.
at the first click he urinated on the floor and ran yelping away. I went
after him, to see where he went and he slunk further away, going under the
bed to hide. He didnt come out until potty time before bed. He still
wont make eye contact with me this morning.

So, can anyone offer me any ideas? I have no idea what could have made him
so afraid of it???? Im positive that nothing happened to him during the
first session, he was just sitting on the floor beside the couch. Should I
just leash him and continue? Leave him in the room while working with
Rayden so he sees that Rayden isnt afraid of it? Just forget the clicker
all together as far as he is concerned?

I was recommended clickersolutions.com and will check there also

thanks in advance,
dainerra

Old January 28th 04, 03:07 PM
Emily Carroll

"CaptRon" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

*lol* My collie did that too (well, not so bad...he just ran and hid until I
left him alone) the first time I tried the clicker around him.

So I spent a hour going "click-a-click-a-click-a" and driving everyone nuts
and he got over it.

I think some dogs are really sensitive to the noise that it makes, but they
can get over it once they figure out it's a good noise.

Sometimes it helps to get their favorite treat--the collie is in LOVE with
marshmallows (he knows what the word "marshmallow" means) and that helped
too.
--
Emily Carroll
Fluttervale Labradors: www.fluttervale.com

---

Old January 28th 04, 03:16 PM

Emily Carroll wrote:
I think some dogs are really sensitive to the noise that it makes, but they
can get over it once they figure out it's a good noise.

Image was frightened of it at first. In her case I put it
away for a few months and she was fine when we came back to
it later (I think she'd gotten used to hearing me work with
Emmett with the clicker). In the case of this pup I'd
probably look for a different kind of thing to make the
sound, like a ballpoint pen or something quiet/gentle.
Clickers really are pretty harsh sounding.

In 2001, drug companies spent $45.1 billion on marketing and
advertising and only $19.1 billion on research and development

Old January 28th 04, 03:21 PM
CaptRon

"Emily Carroll" wrote in message

*lol* My collie did that too (well, not so bad...he just ran and hid until

left him alone) the first time I tried the clicker around him.

So I spent a hour going "click-a-click-a-click-a" and driving everyone

nuts
and he got over it.

I think some dogs are really sensitive to the noise that it makes, but

they
can get over it once they figure out it's a good noise.

Sometimes it helps to get their favorite treat--the collie is in LOVE with
marshmallows (he knows what the word "marshmallow" means) and that helped
too.

wow Im so glad to hear that. I will also just leave him in the room while
I work with Rayden, that should help him see that its nothing scary to
anyone else. Also,I will up his treats to bologna and see if that helps.

He wasnt bothered by the noise in the beginning, that is what was weird. I
will also keep the tape on when actually working with him for a while. it
does make a difference in the way that it sounds.

thanks for the help!

dainerra