people **** me off

Old January 29th 04, 12:50 AM
culprit

Default people **** me off

on our walks, we sometimes go by a house where an angry Rottie lives. he's
ginormous, and snarls and barks, shows hackles, and generally makes me
nervous. after we pass his driveway, he crosses the street to his mailbox,
sniffs where we walked, and pees on our trail. we cross the street to stay
out of "his" territory, but he seems to think we're invading anyway, and
sometimes follows us down the street, growling. he doesn't have tags on,
but is wearing a choke chain(!). he's the only dog Lola has ever passed
without trying to initiate play. she and Manu both just look straight ahead
and ignore him. this seemed to work, thank goodness, though i have
nightmares about the Rottie attacking and my dogs being put down for
defending themselves.

today i noticed why he's always at the end of his driveway. he was locked
out of his yard. i had noticed the gate was shut before, but today i saw
the lock. the owners lock their own pet outside of his yard. what a bunch
of jerks. i'm hesitant to call animal control, because he doesn't have
tags, and i don't think mean older Rotties are the most adoptable dogs out
there, and it's not really his fault the only territory he has to defend is
where his driveway meets the road.

i walked past another walker this morning, and she asked if the dog had
bothered me. she said he's chased her before and is there every day. she
cuts her walk short before his driveway now.

people suck. why get a dog if you're going to lock it outside your yard
every day? i wonder if there's any way to resolve this without punishing
the dog.

-kelly