Is our German Shepherd bitch detecting a wolf?

Old January 30th 04, 07:52 PM
Steve Kane

Default Is our German Shepherd bitch detecting a wolf?

I live in N Portugal and we have had wolves on our mountain - I have
seen them close up with their cubs and have found poisoned carcasses.

Recently we were adopted by a Germ Shep bitch - abandoned on our hill
by its owners - she was evidently an xmas pup.

She was traumatised but is coming on fine - she now goes with me when
I go almost daily up the hill to see how thongs are.

There are very few dogs up their outside the hunting season.

We often walk along one dirt road where I've seen wolves and their
tracks inthe past.

What she does these days (she's not on heat) is to run along - nose to
ground - the halt examine the dirt - disturb it and then roll in the
loose soil getting it on her "mane" Then she lies rapt on her back
with her nose pointed along the ground and would stay thre almost all
day.

This happens often after moderate rain - with no wolf-tracks visible
(they wouldn't be)

What is this behaviour normally about (Don't tell me whether this is
from a dog or a wolf - I'm the best judge of that - I need to know if
its about another canid or not)

Thanks
Old January 30th 04, 09:34 PM
sionnach

What is this behaviour normally about (Don't tell me whether this is
from a dog or a wolf - I'm the best judge of that - I need to know if
its about another canid or not)

There's really no way to tell if it's about another canid or not; it's
normal behavior with ANY scent the dog likes and/or is aroused by (I do NOT
mean sexual arousal).

My JRT does this with fresh kills (IOW she kills a mouse, then rolls on
it), and both she and my lurcher do it at odd spots on one of the hiking
trails we use- not in the woods next to the trails, but on the surface of
the trail itself.

Old January 30th 04, 09:56 PM
Judy

"sionnach" wrote in message
My JRT does this with fresh kills (IOW she kills a mouse, then rolls on
it), and both she and my lurcher do it at odd spots on one of the hiking
trails we use- not in the woods next to the trails, but on the surface of
the trail itself.

My schnauzers do it on worms in the yard.

~~Judy

Old January 30th 04, 10:15 PM

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:56:47 GMT, "Judy" wrote:

My schnauzers do it on worms in the yard.

elliott rolls in the dirt, but in his case i don't think it's got
anything to do with rolling in another animal's scent. he just seems to
enjoy an occasional dirt bath. he must be onto something, because i
*never* have to bathe him. literally, never. it's been over two years
since his last bath and his coat is *always* soft and shiny and smells
like grass and sun.

--
shelly (perfectly foul wench) and elliott & harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

It's important for us to explain to our nation that life is important.
It's not only life of babies, but it's life of children living in, you
know, the dark dungeons of the Internet.
-- George W. Bush, Arlington Heights IL 10/24/2000