Progression of heartworms?

Old July 5th 03, 08:05 PM
Robin

Default Progression of heartworms?

"Tara O." wrote in message
"Robin" wrote in message
news:Iu3Ma.68545$R73.9528@sccrnsc04...
I found a boxer on Fri the 20th. I took him to the vet on Monday the

23rd.
He tested positive for heartworms, but the vet said he was
asymptomatic(sp?), meaning he wasn't showing symptoms yet. He didn't

have
murmur, or any chest rattling, and I had not noticed any cough. Over

the
past two days he has developed a cough.

I was unable to find the dogs owner, so I have contacted a great boxer
rescue. They are going to treat his heartworms and have him neutered,

then
place him. They could not get him into the rescue's vet until the 9th.

Is there anyone who is familiar with how rapidly heartworms usually
progresses? Do I need to contact the rescue to see if they can treat him
sooner? I know that they need to work with rescue friendly vets to keep
expenses down so that they can help more dogs.

Its likely not the heartworms. Either:

a) its allergy related
b) its stress related
c) he's getting an upper respiratory

Heartworms take a long time to progress. A dog won't normally even show

up
as a mild positive until 6-8 months after being infected. It can take
another 6-12 months to reach stage 2 and another 6-12 months to reach

stage
3. Some dogs show symptoms at stage 2. Almost every dog will show

symptoms
at stage 3. They don't have to be constant either. A cough here, a cough
there, wheezing after exercise, etc.

--
Tara

Sorry for the late reply. It's been a busy few days. I had always thought
heartworms were something that progressed pretty slowly, but I was never the
less worried when he started to cough. The cough went away and only lasted
two days. The lady from the rescue is picking him up tomorrow. They have
already found a home for him to go to when he finishes his treatment. He'll
be moving about six hours away to Roswell GA. He'll be living with a single
man who has lived in the same home for 14 years. He gets to work from home
alot, and he has a 19 mo old female boxer. He had a glowing recomendation
from his vet. It sounds like a really great home for Oakley and I am really
excited for him.

Robin