my Boxer has worms

Old August 27th 03, 03:03 AM
Tara O.

Default my Boxer has worms

Ctgwen" wrote in message
My dog Sara has hook worms and is being treated with panacur. She lost

alot of
weight from them (she is a rescue) and even tho she's been treated for

aobut a
week now, she is still very skinny and has a bit of diarreha. She is

about 40
pounds or a little more. How much would you recommend feeding her to get

the
weight back on and how often? I am also going to take her back to get

checked,
but wanted to hear other opinions too.
Thanks -
Gwen
BTW, I am new to this newsgroup. I own a corgi mix, a mini dachshund and

the
boxer. I am soon going to be looking for a rescue doberman!

Gwen its perfectly normal for a dog to drop alot of weight with a heavy
hookworm infestation. Sometimes we are able to catch the Boxers in the
early stages of hookworm but oftentimes not. Its not until the diarrhea,
lack of appetite and/or weightloss begins that we know there's a problem.
We've had dogs with heavy hookworm problems test negative over and over on a
fecal exam which is why the problem can get out of hand so quickly. Finish
the Panacur, keep feeding like you normally would then go back in 2 weeks
(some vets say 3-4) for a retreatment of Panacur or Strongid. Its always
best to retreat as a precautionary measure.

--
Tara

Old August 30th 03, 12:48 AM
Supergoof

It's frightening how quickly a worm infestation builds up. We worm Murphy
every 3 months with a product that treats 4 types of worms - can't remember
them all, might be tapeworm, hookworm, whipworm and something else
(roundworm?). I don't think we have heartworm here.

Normally there's never any evidence of worms. However when we did it a few
weeks ago, she passed a large mass of worms (the size of her normal stool
but it was all worms) a day or two later.

That's in less than 3 months ... no wonder it can kill puppies!

Rachel
(New Zealand)

Old August 30th 03, 12:48 AM
Supergoof

It's frightening how quickly a worm infestation builds up. We worm Murphy
every 3 months with a product that treats 4 types of worms - can't remember
them all, might be tapeworm, hookworm, whipworm and something else
(roundworm?). I don't think we have heartworm here.

Normally there's never any evidence of worms. However when we did it a few
weeks ago, she passed a large mass of worms (the size of her normal stool
but it was all worms) a day or two later.

That's in less than 3 months ... no wonder it can kill puppies!

Rachel
(New Zealand)

My name is Harriet, I'm a Boxer who weighs 47 lbs. -mi-chael4 Dog breeds 15 April 3rd 04 04:09 PM
Boxer Rescue help! Natalie Rigertas Dog breeds 2 March 31st 04 06:41 PM
Looking for brindle Boxer puppy Brent Dog breeds 1 October 16th 03 01:16 PM
Natural Ear Boxer Tara O. Dog breeds 56 July 30th 03 06:39 AM
boxer puppies Jacob A. Young Dog breeds 3 July 21st 03 06:26 AM