Looking for Hope

Old August 29th 03, 12:45 AM
Tony Dentino

Default Looking for Hope

My 4 yr old GSP has begun to have seizures. This has devastated me. He is
now on Phenobarbital( since 8/26). I am so worried about him .he really is
my best friend. Are there other thing out there that I might be able to use
to help him through this? The vet tells me that he feels nothing when
experiencing a seizure but it is the most horrific thing I have ever
witnessed, Thank You

--
Ranger and Katie

Old August 29th 03, 01:32 AM
Marshall Dermer

In article "Tony Dentino" writes:
My 4 yr old GSP has begun to have seizures. This has devastated me. He is
now on Phenobarbital( since 8/26). I am so worried about him .he really is
my best friend. Are there other thing out there that I might be able to use
to help him through this? The vet tells me that he feels nothing when
experiencing a seizure but it is the most horrific thing I have ever
witnessed, Thank You

--
Ranger and Katie

I understand how you love your dog. One thing to do is to use
www.google.com to search groups for other people posting about
canine seizures. Another possibility is to review people describing
how they feel while having a seizure.

I don't know anything about seizures, but I often having sneezing
"fits" due to a hay fever allergy and all the sneezing sounds
worse than it feels.

--Marshall

Old August 29th 03, 03:25 AM
Betsy

I've gotten so used to seeing a seizure that I forgot just how frightening
they are. Recently my dog clustered and I called my sister in desperation
to help me get him into the car. She held him while he seized for the 5th
time. Later she mentioned how horrible it was for her, and I felt awful not
preparing her for this. It is just heartbreaking to watch.

Join the Epi-K9 groups and you'll get a lot of support. And thanks,
Matt--you were the one who gave me these links. They've meant the world to
me!

The email lists:
http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/subscribe.html

An excellent canine epilepsy resource:
http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/Resources.html

Old August 29th 03, 05:29 AM
Betsy

Yes, thanks. I wish I'd done my homework before I allowed my regular vet to
x-ray and otherwise test my dog for what proved to be medication induced
ataxia. He never mentioned to me (perhaps didn't know) that ataxia can
actually get worse as blood levels stabilize. I thought, and he led me to
believe, that the negative effects wore off early on. Thanks to the lists,
I learned otherwise.

Thanks again!

P.S. Now that Beau's on a home cooked diet he has absolutely no ataxia, and
his hind legs are getting stronger by the day. He can jump into the car
again! And, he is much peppier.

"Rocky" wrote in message
Betsy said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Join the Epi-K9 groups and you'll get a lot of support.
And thanks, Matt--you were the one who gave me these links.
They've meant the world to me!

So cool to hear back. I'm really happy that the groups have
helped you out.

Old August 29th 03, 09:34 PM
SCmark10

Siezures are no worse for a dog than vigorous excercize for the same amount of
time. So a 1 minute siezure shouldnt be a big deal, but a 10 minute one could
cause harm. Best thing is to avoid them with medication.

A lot of veterinary neurologists are using potassium bromide instead of
phenobarbitol, but there are a lot of dogs on phenobarb also. The fear is that
long term phenobarbitol can cause liver problems.