OT - "Liberal Lies" - Forged Post

Old February 5th 04, 07:30 PM
Sionnach

Default OT - "Liberal Lies" - Forged Post

By now you have posted the quote so many times it is
impossible to find the original in google. Let's get to the bottom of
this.

The context of the discussion - which was two or three years ago- was that
we were talking about spontaneous, odd, one-time things that you wouldn't
normally use or recommend, but which turn out to be effective with
individual dogs.

Someone- not a regular poster, and I can't even remember his name or what
kind of dog he had, although IIRC it was a terrier- posted something about
growling into his puppy's throat when all other methods of trying to teach
the dog not to play-bite had failed.

I replied briefly about a one-time situation I got into some years back-
one NOT of my making- wherein a large Labrador who was attached to me (she
weighed 85 lbs at the time; I weighed under 100) suddenly went berserk
because some other dogs had been released to run.
She was endangering both herself and me, and after a few seconds of
trying to get her attention verbally, I instinctively reverted to martial
arts training and used a judo technique to contain her momentarily - all I
needed to do was get her under control long enough to release her. I did,
indeed, also take hold of her ear for a split second and make a loud
growling noise.
It was the general equivalent of grabbing a hysterical person in a bear
hug and yelling "HEY!" in their ear loud enough to startle them back into
their senses.

With that ONE dog, in that ONE situation, it was the right thing to do.
It wasn't anything I'd ever done before or since, was NOT at all what I'd
call a training technique, nor would I ever recommend that anyone do
anything like it- pure and simple, it was an instinctive response to a
dangerous situation. My only intent was to contain the dog long enough to
release her, and it was management, not training.

In any case, our resident loon took part of my post - snips from two
different sentences, I believe, with context and some joining words removed-
and part of the terrier owner's post (the bit about growling into the
throat), reworded them, cobbled them together into one sentence, and added
several words of his own as well as his own punctuation and capitalization.