Dog park success--Town Board says move forward!

Old February 6th 04, 02:51 PM
KrisHur

Default Dog park success--Town Board says move forward!

After a year of plugging away at this, our group made our presentation to
the Town Board last night.

Usually only a handful of people attend Town Board meetings but last night
the room was *packed* with both pro and con people (people were standing
outside the room!). We had a great presentation--everyone was laughing and
joking and having a good time--we pointed out that this community
interaction is exactly what the dog park is about! It's more about people
being able to get together than the dogs (dogs don't vote, play up people
issues!). One woman stood up and said that she's lived in our town for 18
years and hardly knows anyone--unless you have kids or are a senior there
are no activities or ways to meet other people in the community.

The petition was very valuable--the Board was very impressed that we got 13%
of the households behind us with only 20 hours of collecting signatures.

We even won over the dissenters! Two people said when they came in they
thought the idea was "silly" and "ridiculous" but at the end were saying
they thought that it was a great recreational activity that should get
done!!!!

The Board wrapped up by saying that anyone interested in presenting anything
to them should study our proposal; that they have *never* seen anything so
professional and that we have their *unanimous* decision to move forward.
They invited us back to next month's meeting to discuss the proposed
properties.

After the meeting the Recreation Chairman said to me, quietly, "Don't worry
this is going to get done" as did several Town Board members.

So we are on our way. It appears that the only issue now will be a fight
over the patch of land we want. One of the board members wants to turn it
into a passive recreation park and it's too small for both. One of the
selling points was that we would raise 100% of the start up costs and the
Board is really pushing us to take a piece of land that needs lots of
work--we could never raise enough money to make all the necessary
improvements to this site and have told them so on many occasions. Perhaps
the board will kick in some labor or something now that they see how many
people want this!

Yippee!
--
Kristen and