Jean Donaldson on canine guarding/aggression

Old February 10th 04, 12:16 AM
Charlie Wilkes

Default Jean Donaldson on canine guarding/aggression

Jean Donaldson's book, "Mine!" arrived today. It appears to be
another mainstream text on dog training. The essence of her approach
for training a resource guarder is to desensitize the dog in slow,
patient increments, using rewards to condition a positive response at
every stage.

"Counterconditioning is about changing associations... How this looks
in actual treatment is the presentation of a low-enough intensity, or
sub-threshold, version of the trigger, immediately followed by a
potent, pleasant counter-conditioning stimulus... If, at any point,
the dog shows the original reaction to the trigger, it means the
intensity of the presentation is super-threshold. It is important to
then back off to a reduced trigger intensity and work back up
gradually again."

Jean also discusses the dog who growls when being handled, e.g.,
grooming. She asserts this is the same type of problem and outlines
lengthy (60-step) process of sub-threshold stimuli and rewards.

"Remember to remain on the step you're on until the dog is thoroughly
comfortable and demonstrating his good CER [conditioned emotional
response] in anticipation of the goodie you're about to provide."

Now, what are the most common problems that occur when trainers
attempt to treat resource guarding? Number one on the list, according
to Jean Donaldson: "Pushing the dog super-threshold by advancing too
quickly up the hierarchy rungs before the CER is well established at
the previous level."

To which she adds:

"What I referred to earlier as skating on thin ice in fear and
aggression rehab is at virtual epidemic level among dog trainers... If
a dog is struggling at a certain step, is is very unwise to advance to
the next. It is, in fact, more prudent to back off and do easier
exercises and then take a stab at the problematic rung from a
different angle, i.e., by juggling other variables."

All in all, this little book is pretty much what I expected.

Charlie
Old February 10th 04, 12:38 AM
Sionnach

If, at any point,
the dog shows the original reaction to the trigger, it means the
intensity of the presentation is super-threshold. It is important to
then back off to a reduced trigger intensity and work back up
gradually again."

Which, Charlie dear, is exactly what I talked about doing, except she's
using high-falutin' jargon.

Old February 10th 04, 07:39 AM
Lynn K.

Charlie Wilkes wrote in message . ..

All in all, this little book is pretty much what I expected.

Yep. Desensitization and counter-conditioning. Stuff like feeding
the dog at the grooming location and rewarding slowly incremented
exposure to the trigger o being groomed. You'll note the complete
lack of "just let the dog be".

How can you say the book is what you expected when you repeatedly said
that you didn't think Jean would agree with what was said here? You
really don't think I'd recommend a book I hadn't read, do you?

Lynn K.

Old February 10th 04, 02:21 PM
m-ic-h-ae-l

Lynn K. wrote:
Charlie Wilkes wrote in message . ..

All in all, this little book is pretty much what I expected.

Yep. Desensitization and counter-conditioning. Stuff like feeding
the dog at the grooming location and rewarding slowly incremented
exposure to the trigger o being groomed. You'll note the complete
lack of "just let the dog be".

Yeah, we couldn't just stop terrorizing and abusing
a dog to make it look pretty, could we? No, that was
never an option was it, Lynn Kill?

How can you say the book is what you expected when you repeatedly said
that you didn't think Jean would agree with what was said here? You
really don't think I'd recommend a book I hadn't read, do you?

No,
but you happily recommended and supported
murdering a dog you had never met. In fact, the
only one here who met her was Matt, and he was
shocked when he found out KW Brown was going to
murder her.

You'll jump out of a moving vehicle at 60 mph,
if it will give you a chance to support a fellow
dog murderer.

Because it makes you look less conspicuous and
culpable. The more murderers the merrier as far
as you are concerned.

I hope that heelps you understand your problem.

this is michael
repoerting live..
http://dogttv.com

Lynn K.