Integrating new puppy - Older dog salivating and seemingly unreceptive! HELP! :(

Old February 10th 04, 02:52 AM
Nick P

Default Integrating new puppy - Older dog salivating and seemingly unreceptive! HELP! :(

Hi everyone,

Okay - this is only the second day but I need some reassurance for our
little family.

We have currently added a male Border Collie to our household of 4
cats and one dog, a Shih-Tzu/Bichon Frise cross. The cats are taking
to our new BC (Indy) quite well, 3 of them are pretty much leaving him
alone, and the other is tolerating him without any argument and is
even attacking his wagging tail and ears from time to time - although
swats are issues when he's tired of Indy's unending playfullness.

The problem is with our 1 1/2 year old dog Josie. She had some fear
issues with other dogs previously when we brought her to training, as
she spent 90% of her time with either cats or us humans, and only had
a brother as a littermate. We were worried that a "situation" would
develop, and I think we might be right

As it stands, Josie was not very pleased with the new addition. The
only addition we've had was the aforementioned cat (that became her
chew-toy, and seems as though is going to become Indy's chew-toy also)
and a cousin, which was quite fine with her.

Now that Indy has arrived, we've done some test "meetings" when we're
available. For any time outside of that, Josie does whatever she can
to stay away from Indy. He, on the other hand, is dying to play with
her, and has tried to initiate quite a few "play sessions", which was
very different than their first meeting, in which he was baring his
teeth (as was Josie), something he has stopped completely.

The biggest current problem is that Josie does not seem to be taking
well to this. She is exuding excessive amounts of saliva, requiring
"toweling" quite frequently. She still seems herself, except that
whenever Indy is around, she will do whatever in her power to avoid
him, and when they confront each other, she will emit a very low growl
and will often bark - all of this from a higher position, or a
position as far away from Indy as possible.

I'm worried, because the last thing I want to have happen is to have
two dogs that are great on their own, but are not in any way bonded
with each other. I am probably overreacting, but I would love some
reassurance so that I can at least breathe easier for the next week
while they "acclimate".

Thanks very much in advance!

Nick