Destructive Dog

Old February 12th 04, 02:50 AM
Ron

Default Destructive Dog

My cousin has a 3 year old German Shepherd Chow mix named Samantha.
They live in a townhouse. Samantha has been a wonderful companion
until recently. About a month ago, while my cousin was away for the
day, Samantha ripped a hole in the screen door of the terrace, jumped
through the hole onto a table and jumped off the terrace into the
bushes below (about a 1 story drop). This is based on what my cousin
saw when she got home. When she arrived home the dog was waiting for
her at the door. You can imagine how freaked out she must have been
seeing Samantha outside. She thought maybe a burglar got in and let
her out or something. When she walked in she saw all the destruction
and saw that Samantha caused it.

This last week, my cousin arrived home to find the vertical blinds
destroyed and the frame around her front door all scratched and
destroyed. It seems like Samantha was trying to get out again, but of
course, my cousin keeps the sliding glass door to her terrace closed
whenever she leaves to prevent Samantha from escaping again.

My cousin has been an excellent master to Samantha walking her twice a
day and making sure she always has enough food and water. The dog has
never been a problem until the last month or so. There have been no
environmental changes in the house to account for Samantha's change in
behavior. My cousin loves Samantha and doesn't want to give her away
but she doesn't see any alternative. She doesn't have a backyard for
Samantha to be in while she is gone each day. We need suggestions.
She doesn't want to give Samantha tranquilizers or any medication.
Please help ASAP