Escaping shepard

Old February 12th 04, 04:01 AM
Jay

Default Escaping shepard

This is quickly developing into a nightmare and I am nearly forced into
getting rid of my 2 year old shepard because hes an escape artist.
Since he was a few months old,he has learned how to open gates with his
nose and open side doors by pushing the handle.
Now the worst - He has learned fence jumping,and cannot be contained.
I tried a tie down,and he easily wiggles out of his collar no matter how
tight.
Tried a harness, same thing.
Tried tieing him down with his collar and harness and he was out in
minutes.
In the past month,he has gotten out nearly every day.
I live in the suburbs,and obviously its unacceptable to have a large dog
running loose.
Sure,I can spend $1,000 or so to build an 8 foot fence around the yard -
Then he'll likely learn the joys of digging.
I'm a single dad with 2 kids,work full time and don't have the time for
extensive training clases,which I feel would be useless anyhow.
Hes a hard headed stubborn dog,and minds to a degree - But only when I'm
present.
Our relationship is deteriorating,as I'm always mad at him lately.
Was hoping the tie down would work till spring,when I planned on giving an
invisible fence a try - Animal control officer was over today,saying next
time the fines will start.
Can't very well leave him in all day,to grow more stir crazy and defecate
the house.
Building pen,short term solution and anyhows nearly impossible in 15 degree
weather.
My options,as I see them,are
1) - Rig up a car battery to the fence,and hopefully shocks will deter him
from approaching the fence
2) - Find or fashion a doggy straight jacket of sorts,which he cannot
escape from and
3) - Get rid of him.
Any more ideas ?