Shepherd dominating lab

Old September 4th 03, 03:23 PM
Peppergirl

Default Shepherd dominating lab

Hello!
Firstly, thanks for all the wonderful suggestion on my lab with arthritis!!
My next question and concern is i have a 2 1/2 yr old female german shepherd
and 9 yr. old female lab. I'm finding it really hard to deal with the
shepherd, as she's constantly herding my lab away from myself and family
members. She will growl, fur up, and the lab retreats onto her chair. This
has been going on for months now. We make a fuss of them both, but the
shepherd demands more all the time.
"Please" does anybody have any ideas of how to break this behaviour? I did
have a trainer come out, and he suggested crating them both in separate
crates, this was to no avail. My vet says, it's one of those things between
bitches, they'll sort it out. Time for a new vet i think!
"HELP!!!!!" I appreciate any suggestions!! Thank you in
advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peppergirl
http://hotcuisine.esmartweb.com/

Old September 6th 03, 07:07 AM
JanTGH

Hear Hear.

"Colin B. Connolly" wrote in message
For whatever it's worth........
I think your vet is more right than the "trainer". When you have 2 dogs,
you need to pet them together, 1 hand each. Eventually the alpha female
will prevail. Let them handle it and stay out of the dynamics. I've been
breeding for 35 years, and learned not to interfere in the natural order
(unless they draw blood). This behavior and social structure is more
prominent in unaltered animals, and peaks around pre-estrus and estrus,
and in the last trimester of pregnancy. Dogs are pack animals by nature
so why are we expecting them to act otherwise? :-)