we got "the fence"

Old February 15th 04, 12:48 AM
culprit

Default we got "the fence"

after having the appraisal for the real fencing coming out at over $11,000,
we decided to put up an invisible fence, just until we can save some cash
for the real one. after we put up the real fence, the invisible one will
probably remain as a "fail safe" to keep the dogs off the real fence. yes,
i'm aware of most of the cons, i've always been against them myself, until i
talked to a lot of people who have them, and had the invisible fence trainer
come out to meet the dogs. i'll only be letting them out when i'm home and
can keep a direct eye on them, and we've discussed it with all of the
neighbors, and they've committed to containing their dogs, so they won't
come into my yard unless invited.

anyway, we had it installed outside today, and started the indoor part of
training. we decided to put the training fence on the stairway, since the
cats like to hang out up there and the dogs aren't allowed to go up. we put
up a baby gate just past the invisible barrier, so that they can't go
through it, even if they want to. i tried the collar on myself before we
let the dogs try it, and while it is uncomfortable, it's not painful, and
i'm comfortable with the dogs wearing it.

we thought Manu would require a higher setting than Lola, because she's
pretty sensitive to correction, and he is a big meathead who doesn't feel a
thing. this played out with the first part of training, with Lola turning
around and leaving the steps at the first buzz, and Manu just standing
there, wagging his tail, like he didn't feel a thing. we upped the setting
three more times before Manu "got it", and then he immediately turned around
and didn't go up the steps at all after that.
the weird thing is that Lola, who was clearly bothered by the experience,
kept trying to go up to get the cat's area anyway. this confirmed something
i had suspected. Lola may be more sensitive to correction, but she also has
more "drive", and will put up with something she dislikes longer than Manu
will. Lola sat on the steps, cycling through the collar's three 10 second
failsafe cycles, then tried to climb over the baby gate as though nothing
had happened.
we decided to up the correction one setting, with the theory that she'd find
it so unpleasant it would stop her from climbing the steps, then we'd turn
it back down once she realized she shouldn't be up there. unfortunately,
she never did realize it, so we had to leave it on the higher setting. so
hers is set lower than Manu's, but she reacts a lot more strongly to it
(scratching at her neck, etc) than he does.

we'll keep the indoor boundary set up, and keep testing the dogs with it
(hiding behind the railing and meowing usually does the trick) so that
they're familiar with the warning tone. Manu is already pretty sure he
knows what it means, and whenever Lola trips it, he'll bite her hind leg and
pull her down the steps so the tone stops. he's such a big brother, always
trying to keep sis out of trouble.

the outdoor training will begin later in the week, i'll post updates once we
get done with them.

-kelly