New sport! Dog Scootering

Old February 15th 04, 04:43 AM
Melissa S. Frye

Default New sport! Dog Scootering

My friend Susan and her Saluki, Puzzle, came by with her scooter and
we gave it a try at a park near my house (helpful deserted except for
us. It's got really nice paths, which I think really helped the guys
figure it out.
In addition it has only gentle slope, althought there wwere some
nasty puddles.

First I practiced the scooter, as I had never scooted! It wasn't
hard at all to get the hang of. With the brakes and all it's fairly
easy - Way easier than a bicycle!

We hitched up Hunter and Dice. Discovery #1: It's hard to get the
lines on and the dogs untangled unless they hold still!
We started with Hunter and Dice hitched together with a neckline, and
Dice was terrible at getting herself tangled up.
She seemed worried about the scooter and very unsure about what I
wanted. Hunter started to get it much quicker.
Discovery #2 if they started running on a loose line, and you are
standing still, they essentially get a correction every time they hit
the end of the line. So lots of verbal praise and encouragement and
We started with using me as bait for the guys to drive towards,
calling them and running as Susan rode the scooter.
Hunter started pulling fairly quickly and Dice didn't get it.

We tried Hunter alone, and he was definitely getting the idea.
My dogs have never been trained not to pull (they are rarely on
leashes and small, so it's not a priority!)
He was really getting into the pulling.

To help Dice, her with the only experienced lead-dog, we paired her
with Puzzle.
We didn't use a neckline!
That really helped her a lot for her to have a dog to go with. Susan
was breaking to balance Puzzle's stride and Dice's a bit. She really
started pulling and digging in.

I am glad Hunter and Dice have a good sit command, as I used that to
stop them and help me set-up the lines.

So we hooked the cockers' in a fan hitch. They really both got into
the pulling and did a great job with it! They were definitely tired,
I think this is a great way to build conditioning in the guys.
They actually get up quite a bit of speed, especially on the slight
downhill slope.
Hunter occasionally thought about stopping to pee, but was pretty
good, and Dice rally started pulling.
I can't wait till I I can run the four cockers together but that is
going to take training!
I am hooked! Now all I need is gear!

I think it will be great for conditioning and teaching left/right!

Pictures at www.mfrye.com/skyrocket/dogsctr1.html

Melissa
New beezer babies
www.mfrye.com/skyrocket/klitter.html

--
Melissa S. Frye
Skyrocket cockers www.mfrye.com/skyrocket/

Old February 15th 04, 04:21 PM
Sionnach

To help Dice, her with the only experienced lead-dog, we paired her
with Puzzle.
We didn't use a neckline!

I should hope not- at least if "neckline" means coupling the dogs at the
neck. G Puzzle's what, 30" or so at the withers?

Ping: Melanie Debbie S Dog behavior 966 January 20th 04 05:18 PM
Yet another dog sport Tricia9999 Dog behavior 255 October 18th 03 08:26 PM
I Got Bitten Today Debbie S Dog behavior 32 September 10th 03 11:39 PM
looking for harness for scootering Doug_from_IL Dog behavior 5 July 15th 03 01:09 AM