AKC vs German herding

Old February 16th 04, 08:43 PM
Scott

Default AKC vs German herding

Can anyone tell me the difference between AKC herding and German herding?

Old February 17th 04, 02:02 AM
Diane Blackman

"Scott" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me the difference between AKC herding and German herding?

Just AKC herding vs German herding or are you interested in the various
kinds of herding? AKC herding is supposed to be generalized herding for all
breeds. Its kind of middle of the road and show cases no particular breed.
There are three courses, A, B and C, and multiple kinds of stock for each.
The courses differ in size, and depending upon your view, complexity. They
all have essentially the same elements: go get the sheep, bring them to the
handler, then control the sheep through chutes and panels. German herding,
as you call it, I suppose you mean HGH herding designed to showcase the
German Shepherd Dog's style of herding. The function of the dog was
entirely different. In HGH herding the dog's primary function is not to
move the sheep from one place to another (although that is part of it) but
to contain the sheep to a particular bit of grazing ground which may be
marked by furrows or whatever, but is not fenced.
It also calls for a demonstration of moving the sheep, as to market or from
one pasture to another. In contrast to AKC herding where the flock is
bunched this kind of movement usually involves stringing the herd out so
they can move down a road whilst allowing traffic to pass.

Border Collie trials are an entirely different kettle of fish. Both the
sheep and the herding conditions are distinctly different thus calling for
an entirely different herding style. In the USA there are multiple herding
organizations. The most commonly available are AKC, USBCHA, AHBA and ASCA.
Each are distinct in flavor although there are some similarities. HGH
herding is not common in the USA, both instructors and trials are difficult
to find. While AKC, AHBA and ASCA don't showcase the original herding style
of the German Shepherd Dog all of these venues do allow the GSD to compete
and it is possible for the GSD to succeed. USBCHA and other border collie
trials are not suitable for 99.9999999% of German Shepherd Dogs. I'd say
none, but I like to leave an opening for the rare exception.

The best place to get information on the various organizations, and compare
the herding styles is
http://www.glassportal.com/herding/herding.htm

Diane Blackman

Old February 17th 04, 03:17 AM
Scott

Thanks for your reply. The reason I ask is because I have a tentative
appointment to take my German shepherd in for herding testing. The
person who will be observing/testing is in to German herding and does
use German shepherds; I believe "C" course was mentioned.
I probably haven't stated things correctly, but that is because I know
absolutely nothing about herding, German style herding, or AKC herding.

Old February 17th 04, 04:44 AM
Diane Blackman

"Scott" wrote in message
Thanks for your reply. The reason I ask is because I have a tentative
appointment to take my German shepherd in for herding testing. The
person who will be observing/testing is in to German herding and does
use German shepherds; I believe "C" course was mentioned.
I probably haven't stated things correctly, but that is because I know
absolutely nothing about herding, German style herding, or AKC herding.

Whoops, well my information wasn't exactly accurate. *sigh* sorry - I have
a rusty memory when it comes to AKC since I don't do it. But your mention
of the C course forced me to *ahem* actually look up the information.
http://www.akc.org/dic/events/herdin...ng_started.cfm

Which means I was significantly wrong about the consistency of the AKC
courses.

I shoulda known better.

Diane Blackman