Success with fear agression - counter conditioning with hot dogs

Old February 17th 04, 05:23 AM
Peder Jakobsen

Default Success with fear agression - counter conditioning with hot dogs

Hi,

For all those out there who are going through great frustration with your
fear aggressive dogs, don't despair!

My 3 year old Walker hound is severely fear aggressive. She totally lacks
confidence about many things, people, and dogs.

I know nothing about dog training, I'm a complete ignoramus about behaviour,
but after careful use of treats and plain old common sense observation +
getting rid of all this dominate your dog stuff, I'm finally making
incredibly speedy progress with my dog (no trainer, just reading books and
OBSERVING)

Today I cut her nails for the first time ever. Three weeks ago she would
have struggled for her life and bitten me, but this time she lies down and
eats her food while i cut her nails. In retrospect, it was so simple: For
the past three weeks she has only been allowed to eat when I stroked her
paws with the nail clippers, then gently put the loop around her nail, etc.
etc. until i could cut her nails. That's after trying all kinds of other
stuff for 2 years. It may sound silly, but it was one of the happiest
moments I've ever had with a pet, because I see there is hope for every
fearful situation now (although i realize that she can never be fully
trusted -- kids are not allowed near my dog, ever).

What seemed like an impossible problem now seems so simple, so don't
despair. In the end it was my own ignorance that stopped my dog from
overcoming her fears, nothing else.

She has also stopped attacking other dogs since I , duhh, stopped taking her
to the dog park when there were more than two strange dogs there at any one
time. So simple.

Don't give up hope, just experiment, and use YUMMY TREATS!! I use frozen
hot dog bits -- dirt cheap -- 99 cents a pack.

Anyone else out there have success with positive counter conditioning?