GSD barking at talking...

Old February 19th 04, 12:06 AM
Lee John Moore

Default GSD barking at talking...

Just when everything was going well, and he seemed so well trained...an
odd behaviour has slowly developed at 19 months old.

He doesn't like me talking to people. In the house, this new behaviour
has become a nuisance, and initially it was treated with reassurance
because it seemed he was trying to communicate. That might sound odd, but
he does 'request' things Lassie style (a short bark, and - if he doesn't
get my attention - eventually a gentle tug of the hand). I've now
separated this barking during talking, from his 'requesting' anything. He
doesn't want anything, and so I think I may have inadvertently compounded
the problem by reassuring during his little outbursts.

Ignoring him also failed, and because his barking is so loud it deadens
the (often important) conversation, I now have to remove him from the
room for a short period (like - two minutes) which is enough to silence
him upon his return. Great!

But he's not learning from this though, and he continues in this
behaviour, not really caring about being removed from the room, only
understanding that the behaviour has to stop when he's allowed back in.
And now, if a stranger approaches in the street, he's fine; as soon as
they open their mouth to talk to me, he barks at them. They can stroke
him, he's friendly, he wags his tail, etc. He just barks when they
talk...and I'm fast coming to the conclusion it's jealousy. Does he really
want my undivided attention so bad? Whatever, the cycle has to be broken.
Any tips gratefully received.

I'm expecting the solution to be incredibly obvious...I'm usually too
thick to see them!

--
Lee John Moore
"It's the sign of a hard winter, when the hay runs after the horse!"