Kennel Cough duration of treatment

Old September 8th 03, 01:52 PM
James

Default Kennel Cough duration of treatment

I recently adopted a 3 month old puppy from the SPCA. Appears to be
some kind of pit/lab/shepherd mix. He had only been in the pound for
5 days, but long enough to catch a type of kennel cough. Started
getting a runny nose and coughing pretty much the day we brought him
home. Took him to the vet, and he diagnosed him with kennel cough
(said it was not one of the serious ones....just a cold). He
prescribed cephalexin. I gave him his 7th dose this morning (been
taking it for 3 1/2 days). But he doesn't seem to be getting much
better...still has a runny nose and cough.

For those people whose pets have had kennel cough / a cold...how long
after you started antibiotic treatment did he/she start getting
better?? One of the vet techs at the clinic said its entirely
possible not to see improvements for 7 days, but I wanted to see if
anyone else has had experience with this.

Thanks!

-James
Old September 8th 03, 04:08 PM
jokerpit

"James" wrote in message
m...
: I recently adopted a 3 month old puppy from the
SPCA. Appears to be
: some kind of pit/lab/shepherd mix.

Why did you not want dog that was of unknown
breeding and temperment.
A pitbull mix is not a ideal dog for anyone I
believe a pure bred would of been smarter to buy
then some sickly cross of who knows what origin.
You may have years of health and behavior problems
with such a animal as you have now....

As long as people continue to buy
these unwanted misfits they will keep filling up
shelters and or rescues with such trash as the dog
you purchased..And more than likely will end up back
in the shelter at some time in his/her life because
of lack of caring for such a animal as the cross
bred cur that was so cute as a puppy

He had only been in the pound for
: 5 days, but long enough to catch a type of kennel
cough.

You will be lucky if thats all he caught in his stay
at the (humane?) shelter..

:
: For those people whose pets have had kennel cough
/ a cold

Kennel cough is not just a cold...

....how long
: after you started antibiotic treatment did he/she
start getting
: better??

He should show signs of improvment shortly....

One of the vet techs at the clinic said its
entirely
: possible not to see improvements for 7 days, but I
wanted to see if
: anyone else has had experience with this.
:
: Thanks!
:
: -James

Sounds about right James....I would be concerned if
he still has cough after 6/7 days. Since he is so
young...

Old September 8th 03, 04:37 PM
Cocker Spaniel Rescue of BC

Keenel cough is like a cold to a child.
Keep him quiet and make sure he has lots of water to drink.

The antibiotics are only for a secondary BACTERIAL infection that your vet
was anticipating. It will do nothing for the Kennel Cough VIRUS.

Making sure your pup doesn't become dehydrated is most important.
Keep him away from any and all dogs even for a period after he seems well.
Talk to your vet about this. Another dog living with him might not get the
virus but it is important for him to stay away from senior dogs and baby
puppies.

Good for you for adopting from a shelter.
Disregard the simpleminded comments from others.
Cheers

--
Carol J
Cocker Spaniel Rescue of BC
m...

Old September 8th 03, 05:36 PM
Gwen Watson

"Tara O." wrote:

My opinion is that anyone who thinks mutts are trash is
trash themselves.

--
Tara

Indeed, some of the best dogs I have ever had were mutts.

I can't imagine a dog lover saying that mutts are trash.

Gwen

Old September 8th 03, 05:39 PM
Tara O.

"jokerpit" wrote in message

Why did you not want dog that was of unknown
breeding and temperment.
A pitbull mix is not a ideal dog for anyone I
believe a pure bred would of been smarter to buy
then some sickly cross of who knows what origin.
You may have years of health and behavior problems
with such a animal as you have now....

Damn, you never told us you were the chief of the mutt police. As for why
he'd buy a mutt, he didn't, he adopted a homeless puppy who happens to be of
unknown origins. As for health & behavior issues, your statement is without
merit. I'd actually argue that mixes are often healthier overall than
purebreds. As for behavioral problems, unless the pup has an unsound
temperament, behavioral problems should be in proportion to the amount of
training administered.

As long as people continue to buy
these unwanted misfits they will keep filling up
shelters and or rescues with such trash as the dog
you purchased.

So in your opinion all mutts are trash? They're not dogs worthy of love
like purebreds? Mutts aren't able to give unlimited forgiveness and trust
like purebreds? My opinion is that anyone who thinks mutts are trash is
trash themselves.

--
Tara

Old September 8th 03, 05:49 PM

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, jokerpit wrote:

A pitbull mix is not a ideal dog for anyone I

too bad. *i* believe my Pit Bull mix is the perfect dog for
me.

believe a pure bred would of been smarter to buy
then some sickly cross of who knows what origin.

again, too bad. my Pit Bull mix has been pretty darned
healthy, not that health has anything to do with whether a dog
is purebred or a mix.

You may have years of health and behavior problems with such
a animal as you have now....

or he could have years of health and behavior problems with a
purebred.

As long as people continue to buy

buy? who said anything about buying?

these unwanted misfits

just a minor data point: i don't know what things are like
where you're from, but where i'm from, people don't usually
*buy* things they don't want.

--
shelly (perfectly foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

Ear Infection dotmcs Dog health 13 August 4th 03 09:25 AM
Kennel Cough? seagull Dog health 2 July 4th 03 02:34 AM