Alpha Rolled Anatolian

Old February 19th 04, 06:32 PM
Chris HIll

Default Alpha Rolled Anatolian

Hello all:
This is a highly controversial issue where the old school behaviorists meet
the new. And many "modern" behaviorists totally discount the theory of dogs
expecting pack like behavior from their human pack counterparts. The old
school is we are the dogs pack and certain behaviors may require the human
to act out a punishment as though he/she were pack leader to reestablish
order and proper behaviors.
Here was my dilemma, Breeders (old school) telling me the polar opposite of
our new age trainer.

Coban 4.5 month old Anatolian sit's, stays,downs, recalls immediately under
most conditions, speaks and shakes. Coban waits until told "ok" to go thru
out an outside door and waits seated until his food dish is placed and I
tell him it is okay to eat. Wow you say and so do I, we use voice,clicker,
hand motion combination on him. He is well socialized with other dogs and
humans. Heels well never pulls but does lag behind and looks back to check
our 6 often lol!
A couple of weeks ago he decided to resource guard on me for the dumbest
thing, a rock. He growled a fiercely growl and took off. I was devastated
and totally caught of guard so I went back inside and thought about it for
less than 5 minutes and decided this could NOT be allowed to stand. So I go
back outside and did not attempt a recall as I knew this would not be
listened to, and begin to repeat the "out" command and slowly get him
cornered for a showdown. At this time I knew nothing about the alpha roll So
I wade into the assault he growled fiercely when I got near the mouth as I
straddled him and he did made contact in 3 spots on me with no broken skin
thank God, and I removed the object and he went to the kennel for 30 minutes
while I cooled my adrenaline and hurt feelings. Afterwards Coban came up to
me very remorseful and I was eager to make up too so all is well for about a
week. He does it again over another stupid household object in his mouth
Fierce growl when cornered and repeated outs while stroking his sides and
he did release it for a bribe which I detested to do but I didn't want
anymore physical stuff and the newage trainer suggested I offer a more
appealing object to give them a treat or toy. I have several books which
also conflict on what to do and most cop out and say "get a professional"
IMMEDIATELY. I say to myself with idiots out there like the PW, how in the
hell can I trust a stranger to do the right thing? So I get the top
Anatolian breeders, one of which sold us the dog, on the phone and they both
agree I MUST do the alpha roll NOW or risk losing control, which no one
wanted. So I deliberated while waiting for the next guarding incident to
occur and it did. God this was HARD to do because you have to remember in
all other facets of his character we love him to death already. So dad (me)
waded into the storm again but I had choreographed the moves in my head. I
come from behind and straddle reach down UNDER the lower jaw an get a pinch
hold at the jaw hinge and he began SCREAMING and snapping like I was axe
murdering him but I continued with the act as he tried to bite/escape me. I
got him over with growls still coming, I never yelled or spoke until had him
on his back then I reached up and got a choke hold on him to restrain not
choke, and held him there until the growls were gone and he went limp. I let
him up immediately told my chattering wife to be silent took him carefully
by the collar and put him in the kennel while I stopped shaking from
adrenaline (again). 2 Weeks later as of today and in all aspects of his
character he is unchanged, loving and responsive to his family, except no
more resource guarding and I mean if I say "out" it gets dropped!
I kept up my research on this Alpha subject and I can say I/we did NOT do
all of the subtle behaviors that indicate to the dog you are the leader. I
highly recommend new dog owners adhere very closely to all of those
behaviors that tell him through your actions you are the boss. I think the
new vs. old "alpha question" is not cut and dried, more like animal
dependent and for some owners/dogs a necessary tool. The Anatolian breeders
all agree and are proud of the fact the breed is unchanged from it's origins
as flock guardians. Flock guards by nature are programmed to make the
decisions regarding safety and that simply doesn't work for a companion dog
as you can imagine.
It was difficult to do, I was motivated by the thought of failing the dog,
or a mature 140lb bully in the house. Tough love is something we have all
experienced in life and this is really no different for dogs, just
communication by acting out rather than speaking. He weighed about 65 lbs
and this could not have been done by a shrinking violet or a physically weak
or small person and it could be very dangerous.
As for the newage training THEORY a dog any dog, isn't looking for pack like
behavior from people is pure bull$hit, which is one of my motivations for
sharing this traumatic moment with you. Flaming idiots need not respond as
you have been KF'd. But I will respond and follow up with any comments or
questions that are respectful of others.
Take care fellow dog owners
Chris Hill