Crate Training Problem

Old February 21st 04, 02:23 PM
Pat Reid

Default Crate Training Problem

I just got a puppy (mixed breed) that was originally sold to another
woman who decided she did not want the responsibility. This puppy is
smart and very lovable. My problem is that she sometimes wets in her
crate - I think this is happening because the lady that had her put
the crate in the garage with housebreaking pads inside the crate and
left her for long periods of time. I need some help in breaking this
habit. It does not happen on a daily basis and I work but only 6
hours per day. I let her out a lot and immediately when I come home.
I let her out before I go to bed at night and first thing in the
morning and a couple of more times before I go to work. I'm beginning
to wonder if I would be better off to leave her out of the crate
completely.
Any suggestions?

Pr
Old February 21st 04, 03:33 PM
Judy

"Pat Reid" wrote in message
I just got a puppy (mixed breed) that was originally sold to another
woman who decided she did not want the responsibility. This puppy is
smart and very lovable. My problem is that she sometimes wets in her
crate - I think this is happening because the lady that had her put
the crate in the garage with housebreaking pads inside the crate and
left her for long periods of time.

I think you're right on this. The puppy learned that it was acceptable to
wet in the crate. She may even think it's where she's *supposed* to go.

I need some help in breaking this
habit. It does not happen on a daily basis and I work but only 6
hours per day.

Unless the puppy is very young or both young and a toy breed, six hours is
not impossible. So far, so good.

I let her out a lot and immediately when I come home.
I let her out before I go to bed at night and first thing in the
morning and a couple of more times before I go to work.

When you let her out, do you go with her? Do you know if she does anything
except play or wait to get let back in? She may not realize fully that she
is being let out to relieve herself. This is where I'd concentrate my
efforts. Go with her and praise her when she goes. Make sure she does get
cleaned out before you crate her. My dogs are fully housebroken and both
over two years old but I still keep a running account in my head as to who
has done what and how recently. Especially if they are about to be left
alone for a while.

Eventually, you'll probably be able to go back to just letting her out on
her own. My dogs go out for a lot of reasons - especially when the
weather's nice or they just want more room to run around for a while. But
there are certain trips outside that they know they have other business to
take care of before they're allowed back in. Spenser especially may have to
be sent back off the deck and out into the yard. He knows what he has to do
to get let back in. We do not, for instance, go to bed at night unless I'm
pretty sure both dogs have completely taken care of business.

I'm beginning
to wonder if I would be better off to leave her out of the crate
completely.

You know, this might not be a bad thought. If you have a secure place that
you could try leaving her - say blocked or gated in a kitchen - it could
help. She may so completely equate the crate with the training pads that it
could actually be easier to leave her in a totally different place where she
may better understand your rules about wetting.
--
~~Judy
"Dogs are not our whole life, but

Old February 21st 04, 04:19 PM
Sionnach

"Judy" wrote:

When you let her out, do you go with her? Do you know if she does

anything
except play or wait to get let back in? She may not realize fully that

she
is being let out to relieve herself. This is where I'd concentrate my
efforts. Go with her and praise her when she goes.

I agree with Judy - I think I'd be concentrating on teaching her where
you DO want her to go. In fact, I'd take it one step further; even though I
have a fenced yard, I'd put the puppy on a leash and walk around the yard
with her, and start teaching her to eliminate on command.
Which, btw, is very easy- as you walk the dog around, you just keep saying
"go pee" or "hurry up" (or whatever you want your cue words to be), then
praise ("GOOD go pee!") when the dog "goes". Doesn't take long at all for
them to associate the words with the action... and it's tremendously useful
for things like traveling, dog shows, visiting, etc.

Old February 21st 04, 04:32 PM
Scott

My experience is that six hours is way too long to ask a puppy to hold it.