Boston Terrier licking problem

Old September 9th 03, 07:24 AM
Nick

Default Boston Terrier licking problem

I have a Boston Terrier that licks her feet nearly 24 hours a day. Her
feet are nearly stained from it. The vet said it was allergies. But I
know some dogs chew their feet (from lack of blood flow?), but she
definitely isn't chewing.
Anyone have any experience with this kind of behaviour?
Thanks,
Nick
Old September 9th 03, 03:50 PM
Sharon

Allergies. But I'm interested to hear other possibilities.

-Sharon

Old September 9th 03, 03:50 PM
Sharon

Old September 10th 03, 05:12 PM
Suzmyers

Our Boston Terrier licks his feet before he goes to sleep at night...sometimes
so much so that he gets things around him wet. As far as I know, he doesn't
have any allergies, but this just seems to be part of his night time routine
..... Our Boston seems very cat like in his cleanliness habits. By the way, he
is 10 years old and has done this all his life.
I would think if a dog licked all the time it would either be allergies or
perhaps a compulsive disorder.
We had a Brittany that was kept in a crate during the day while we worked and
she started licking and chewing on one leg so bad that she had an unhealing
sore on it. We treated it with everything from allergy meds to antibiodics to
no avail. The vet suggested we might have to amputate her lower leg to correct
the problem :(((((
Then, we went on vacation for 2 weeks and put her in a kennel where she was
active 24 hours a day. During the time we were gone, the sore healed up and
never came back....By the way, she got LOTS of exercise morning and night, but
apparently it wasn't enough for her...
Food for thought.....

Sue
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" - Socrates
Old September 10th 03, 05:12 PM
Suzmyers

Old September 12th 03, 08:58 PM
Alison

Hi Nick ,
AFAIK its either allergies or a compulsive behaviour problem .
Sometimes compulsive licking can start due to a medical problem ie a
wound or stitches and the dog carries on once the woumd has healed. I
read that if a dog is itchy all over it can accumulate in the paws.
Alison

Rescues.
http://mysite.freeserve.com/AnimalRescueLinksUK/

Links to animal information websites
http://mysite.freeserve.com/petinfolinks/
om...

Old September 12th 03, 09:01 PM
Alison

Hi sue ,
What happened to her? Did you manage to rehome her.?
With working dogs sometimes they're constantly on the go and need to
keep their brains busy .
Alison

Old September 15th 03, 12:41 AM
Suzmyers

Alison:
She stopped her licking when she left the kennel and it never returned. This
occurred when she was about 5 years old and she lived with us another 6 or so
years (until she was 11) when she had to be put down because of severe kidney
disease.
I think she just needed a change of scenery for a while to forget about her
licking problems. She also had a flea bite allergy that manifested itself as
all over itching every fall. We treated her with cortisone and it kept it
under control.
She was a very wild and crazy dog for a long time. I used to "bike" her
(which she LOVED) every day at least 5 miles and she still had energy to spare!
Sue

boston terrier vs pug Dave Smith Dog breeds 16 April 10th 04 03:52 AM
Boston Terriers: Question about barking Penelope Dog breeds 1 November 17th 03 08:33 PM
My Boston Terrier puppy shivers!! Susie Arbore Dog breeds 4 November 11th 03 03:10 AM
Puppy problem &michael Dog breeds 3 September 7th 03 08:45 AM
Dog Aggressive German Shepherd Problem Rick Dog health 2 July 15th 03 09:19 PM