emergency crate training

Old February 23rd 04, 05:52 AM
badgirl

Default emergency crate training

My DH and I need to put our house on the market. My 2 dogs (both
large) are not crate trained. We weren't planning on moving until now
because has injured his knee and we need to sell our house (can't make
it on his disability pay). I need to crate train my dogs so that when
buyers come to look they aren't turned off by the dogs being *in their
face* (barking, being pushy, being attention hogs or even possibly
being aggressive if they don't like whomever comes) while they look at
the house. Both dogs bark and whine when contained, especially when
there are stranger people in the house.
Yes the dogs are coming with us when we move, that's not an issue. The
problem is, how can I train my dogs within the next 3 weeks to lay
down and be quiet in the crate while people they won't know are here
looking at my house. I can place the crates in the garage (heated)
with blankets over them to calm the dogs but I doubt that will work
without some training.

Anyone have any suggestions without flaming me for not crate training
them in the first place?

thanks in advance,
Jen