Why can't they all just get along? (long)

Old February 23rd 04, 06:01 PM
Suja

Default Why can't they all just get along? (long)

There has always got to be one snarky dog around, from the looks of it.
Pan's been allowed by her previous mom to act like a real Bitch
towards other dogs, and we're trying to address that. SOP for her was
to grumble at any female dogs that entered the dog park, or for her to
grumble at the dogs waiting to greet her as she enters(it really isn't a
growl, it's just this sort of throaty grumbling). Needless to say, I
don't let her do that because a) it scares the heck out of a lot of dogs
b) it makes the owners extremely unhappy and c)I don't tolerate shitty
behavior from my dogs. What I've been doing is to not allow her to
greet dogs at the gate, which is just a good policy in general, and to
supervise her interactions closely to make sure that she isn't giving
anyone the evil eye. So far, so good, except when it comes to Isabelle.

Here is their history together. They're both around the same age. They
used to be really good friends, and there are lots of tears in Pan's
winter jacket to vouch for the good times they've had in the past. In
the last year or so, however, their interaction has completely changed,
and I believe that it is coincident with Pan developing her 'I'm a Big
Dawg' attitude. While she would grumble at other dogs at the park, she
would actually intimidate Izzy. Nothing overt, stuff like staring her
down, getting between her and her person, bumping her when they're
running, etc. For her part, Izzy had always backed down from her. Just
not any more. If Pan starts with her staredown, Isabelle is now quite
happy to respond to her, and they're starting to get into fights now.
Nothing serious yet, but I suspect that each is willing to lose body
parts over it (IOW, it's not just sound and fury signifying nothing).
For now, we're managing the situation by keeping them physically
separate - one or both dogs are on-leash and can't get to each other.
When Izzy is free, she tries to interact with me, but basically ignores
Pan. When Pan is free, she tries to approach Izzy, so she's basically
not allowed to be loose around her.

I'm thinking of trying Lynn K's (?) method with her because Pan is
incredibly bonded to me, and I'm pretty sure she'll catch on really
quickly to the whole snarky behavior makes mommy go away idea (I'm going
by the basic impression I got from the description, have yet to go back
and read up on the details). What are the odds that these two will be
able to make peace? As you well know, Izzy is one of my favorite dogs,
and Khan's as well, and I for one am not happy having to keep Izzy in
the yard and Pan in the house while they're visiting.

Suja