Canine Distemper Inubation Period

Old September 10th 03, 02:30 PM
Adam

Default Canine Distemper Inubation Period

Hello everyone,

This post is prompted by the loss my wife and I experienced yesterday.
After having our beautiful puppy Lucca for just 1 month, we had to put her
down yesterday due to her canine distemper. We think she was an Australian
shepherd, possibly a border collie, she would have been 5 months old today.
She exhibited some characteristic signs within our first week of getting
her. She recovered, but never fully, and continually came up with new
symptoms. After her initial weight of 17 pounds, she maxed at 21, and ended
at 19. Eye discharge, mucus discharge from the nose, diarrhea, poor to no
appetite, all in addition to multiple parasites, worms, kennel cough, and a
stye in the eye. Our poor puppy had been through enough. Yesterday she
awoke with a 105.5 temperature, and was completely opposed to any activity.
She even yelped for the first time when we picked her up. She was an angel
and will be greatly missed.

My wife and I need to have a dog in our life, as we always have. We have
been told by our vet and some family who work in a humane society that we
should wait 1 month, get rid of her old bed, all of her toys and food bowl,
but that we can use a diluted bleach solution to rub down and reuse her
kennel. Someone else mentioned waiting 90 days. Of course this waiting
period is to ensure the eradication of the disease from our home.

Has anyone else out there had experience with this horrid disease? Does
anyone have connections with rescue organizations in the Memphis, TN area?
In one month we are hoping to get a golden retriever, or perhaps a shepherd
or husky mix.

Please say a prayer for our Lucca that she is running and playing with all
of our lost friends in Dog Heaven.

Thank you,

Adam