For shelly

Old February 25th 04, 02:27 PM
Suja

Default For shelly

Found out first hand yesterday why floppy ears are INFERIOR to pointy
ones. I have no problems with the increased ear cleaning frequency, but
if CSI were to luminol the house, it would look like I must've chopped
up at least half a dozen people, in the foyer, the kitchen and the
bathroom. Oh, and for anyone who is thinking about killing people and
dismembering them in the house, just forget it. You have no idea what
sorts of places the blood splatter will end up. I mean, how the heck
did the blood end up on the wall of a room when the door was closed?

Here's what happened. The two beasts were out playing yesterday, and
because it was raining, I was watching from the relative comfort of the
garage. I heard Pan yelp once, but didn't think anything of it,
because it is SOP for her when they play biteface. They came inside,
and I saw nothing amiss. A few minutes later, I saw drops of blood all
over where she was standing, and discovered a cut on the lower tip of
her ear. Probably Khan's tooth, maybe a nail, and vague possibility
that it was the brambles (generally, those are reserved for her
underside - looks like she's been lying down on barbed wire). For such
a small cut, it makes a hell of a mess, and the white hair around her
head was so stained that it looked like she had been involved in a war
of some sort.

The good news is that ear cuts bleed a hell of a lot, even when the cut
is small. The bad news is that ear cuts bleed a hell of a lot, even
when the cut is small. I've tried various ways of bandaging it and
keeping her ear in place, but no luck so far. Tried to make a snood out
of an old pair of pantyhose, but it keeps slipping off. And of course,
the more stuff goes around her head, the more likely she is to shake,
and at this point, I wouldn't be surprised to find blood splatter on the
ceiling. About the only thing that has worked so far is to wrap the
bandage around her ear and hold it in place using hair clips. The first
shake of the day today, she opened it up again, so the bandage had to go
back on.

By contrast, when Khan had a cut in his ear, I put pressure on it, and
cleaned it up once it stopped bleeding. Pointy ears rulz.

Lesson learned: Don't bathe a floppy eared dog with an ear cut no
matter how much they look like they belong in a B-grade slasher film.
Nothing makes a dog shake more than having water on its face.

Suja