Doggy Door leads to digging

Old February 26th 04, 04:07 PM
Lisa

Default Doggy Door leads to digging

Here's my situation:
We adopted a 4 year old cocker from a rescue 4 weeks ago. Fantastic
dog! Lots of personality and very smart! Me and my husband both work
so we started off by leaving him in the kitchen with gates while we
were gone. Well, he climbed the gates, made a mess in the house, and
tore up the blinds by the front door because of separation anxiety. We
decided that we couldn't leave him in the house by himself as he would
make a mess and possibly hurt himself (he's a chewer too).

We wanted to get him housetrained, so we decided to crate him while we
were at work (unfortunately 10 hours at a time). Well, it worked and
he was housetrained 3 weeks later. We both hated to leave him in a
crate for 10 hours a day, (plus a few times he couldn't hold his
bladder and went in his crate), so we decided to install a doggy door,
gate off the kitchen (with homemade gates that he couldn't climb) and
give him more freedom to go in and out of the house.

He learned how to use the doggy door in about an hour and uses it like
a charm now. But we've done this for a week now and every night that
we've come home, he's been covered in dirt and there are holes by the
fence in the backyard. I've had to wash off his paws and mop the
kitchen every day. Today, I have him gated off in the kitchen with
the doggy door closed, but I know he'll make a mess somewhere, but I'd
rather clean that than to clean him and the whole kitchen.

My guess is that he's bored. Unfortunately, I can't be at home during
the day and me and my husband are both too far to come at lunchtime
and let him out. I give him plenty of chew toys to play with, but he
just doesn't want to be left alone. I don't want to start crating him
again (esp for 10 hours!) and I don't want to come home to a mess in
the kitchen every day. So I dont know what to do. Does anyone have
any advice for me???