Pug behaving strange upon returning home after being lost

Old February 26th 04, 07:44 PM
Hoppy

Default Pug behaving strange upon returning home after being lost

I recently had my two pugs (both a year old) escape through a small
hole in my back yard fence and disappear for five days. It was a
heartbreaking experience; I had just about given up on them returning
when someone saw one of my lost dog flyers as well as my dogs.

Other than being a little bit in shock they were both as excited and
energetic as always. They seemed to be really happy to be home, and
within a day fell back into their usual routines of dragging my socks
out into the living room and climbing into the bathtub and waiting for
someone to turn on the water.

Now that a few days have passed i've noticed strange behavior in both
of the pugs. The male seems happier (he's always wagging his little
tail) and more content than before. I attribute this to him just
being happy to be having food and a warm bed on a regular basis again.

The female also seems happier (a little too happy, she can't sit
still!) but exhibits a peculiar behavior any time she sits still for a
moment. She stares at corners. She'll hunker down with her nose an
inch from the crack in a door (where the hinge is, not where it
opens), or stare at a baseboard, or under the kitchen stove or
cabinets nearby. She tilts her head slightly and stares, as if
waiting for something to come skittering out for her to pounce on.
She'll stare for several minutes, often to stop and run around the
house for a moment as if she were sniffing a trail only to return and
stare at the most convenient dark corner when she stops.

At first I thought she was watching her shadow. I would dim the
lights until her shadow disappeared and she'd run up and down the
baseboard only to pause again and stare. Last night when she was
staring under a chair I was sitting in I lowered my hand to the ground
and moved it back and forth, which caused her to hunker down even
lower and quickly turn her head back and forth, as if she were trying
to find a nugget of food that bounced off her nose.

I think the new behavior is related to the trauma of being lost. I
wish I could figure out what she thinks she's doing though. The best
theory I have is she's hunting for bugs. Spending a few days in the
cold without food probably had her camping out around rocks waiting
for something to skitter out. (they had both lost a lot of weight
before I found them)

Maybe she'll get over it. She's only been home for about four days.
Till then, I'll just enjoy that she keeps her head stuffed in the
crack of the couch cushion next to me while we watch TV.