Westie that "bites" problem ....

Old February 27th 04, 01:33 PM
HOCKEYRON

Default Westie that "bites" problem ....

Hello all ,
we have a 3 year old West Highland Terrier --

this dog has started to get "spunkier" the last 6 months or so ......

We have a 7 yr. old Minature Schnauzer and a 7 mth. old Golden Retriever ---
the Westie and the Goldie get along great most of the time but the Westie does
get abit agressive around the Goldie sometimes ......... they play together
most of the time but sometimes the Westie just acts like it's "showing off" by
growling, baring it's teeth , nipping at the Westie -- then everythings fine
again .........

She bit a saleswoman (BEFORE we got the Goldie) who banged loudly on our door
and then was very loud and even a bit aggressive ---- she got out the door and
when the women made some sudden movements towards me she nipped her in the
ankle -- she did break the skin --- the dog warden told us what to do (kept
here away from our other dog etc.etc..)
She now seems to be much more "touchy" than she was before ---- she'll growl
and show her teeth at your feet being by her , if she's on the bed and you're
feet push near her or against her etc... this is occasional and not all of the
time. --- .......
We have a 11 year old girl and a 9 year old son .......
Our 9 year old is very loving and we've tried to keep him from "smothering"
her sometimes by hugging her but he does'nt always listen ....
She has nipped at him before and last night bit him in the cheek ---- not
what I would call a "full bite" but it's more of a scratch type bite , he did
say he was holding here tight near his face hugging her .......
We love this dog and 99.9 % of the time she's fine , just fine ........
However she's now bitten 1 person , nipped or bitten my son twice (though
both times he had is face right there in the dogs face and hugging at the same
time) --- yes I know the dog should'nt bite but my son was'nt doing the right
thing either ....she has never been agressive towards our 11 yr. old girl
we don't know what to do --- we all love the dog but we don't want this to
continue to where she really,really bites someone bad ........
Should we think of putting her to sleep ??
She can stay at my parent's next door and the kids will only see her once or
twice a day and someone's always around when their together .......
IF we seperated the kids and the dog for awhile will that help or will this
dog just get more agressive ---- we've heard some people say "once a dog bites
it'll continue to bite" .........
any help is very much appreciated ....