Food aggresion PLEASE HELP

Old March 1st 04, 01:35 PM
slimpick

Default Food aggresion PLEASE HELP

Kathy,
I don't know what to do. Im so upset about this and my wife wants us
to get rid of our dog. What should I do?
Yesterday me, my wife and Jacob (our 8 month old son) had my wife's
sister over with her 1 year old daughter. Jerry(our dog) was excited
that people were over, but wasn't being to bad. So my wife let him
out. I let him back in 10 min later. I kept him on a leash so he
wouldn't knock over the kids. (Jerry is about 70 lbs) Well the babies
were eating cheerios on the floor and crawling around and stuff and I
let jerry eat the cheerios they dropped. 5 min later Jerry is laying
on the floor and my niece grabs for a cheerio on the floor in front of
jerry and BAM jerry snaps at her. It was disturbing and so scary
because jerry is such a friendly dog. But I was scared he bit a hole
in her face. I saw it happen like it was in slow motion. I pulled
jerry back before he could do anything else. My wife was crying
thinking about what could of happen. He could of easily of bit into
her face or even worse.
Ok, so my wife wants to rid of the dog. She is really really upset,
crying all night long about it. I don't know what to do. I don't want
to get rid of jerry. I love that dog. He has had some food aggression
in the past as a puppy. He does get nasty when someone messes with
whatever he is eating on the floor. How do I break him of this? I have
a baby so you know there will be lots of food on the floor all the
time. Please help me.