Agility Trial Weekend

Old March 1st 04, 04:24 PM
Robin Nuttall

Default Agility Trial Weekend

I've decided Viva definitely needs a new handler!

On Saturday at the Gateway Agility Club trials I pulled Viva into a
refusal on both courses. Yesterday we had a great run on a very
technical Mark Sjogren course and Qd! Viva was flying, and we got a
*very* fast time for us. If I'd been able to get her to SIT on the TABLE
at more than turtle speed we probably would have taken the blue, but I
was happy with a yellow and green since Standard legs are few and far
between for us. After almost 2 years, we have our 6th MX leg. Then it
was on to a nightmare of a Jumpers course by Bill Kokkounin (guessing
here, I never got the spelling right on this). I wish I had a course map
to share. It was 2 jumps out to a nasty weave entrance. From the weaves,
it was 90 degrees left to a backhanded 180, and directly after the 180,
a wrap back the other way to a long run to a double! Not only that, but
his wheeling was a joke. His idea of a big dog path was to wheel
directly from point to point. No loops at all. Times were ludicrously
tight. I got through the first 180 and wrap, all the way around to the
second 180, only 5 obstacles from the finish, only one more tricky
part--and I got lost. My mind just went totally blank. Not only did I
get lost, but Viva stopped and if I'd been able to get it together I
could have finished clean, but it was completely gone. I did a few more
jumps, was still lost, and had to leave. It was maddening. I'm so
terribly disappointed with myself for being such an idiot. A lot of
people got lost on that course, almost all in the exact same place where
I did, but that doesn't make it okay. Sigh, stoopit Robin!

I ran Cala in Jumpers and we provided crowd entertainment. Saturday she
wasn't handling for me at all, was just going out and flinging herself
at stuff. She was actually clean until the weaves--kind of like a car
wreck you see coming but which hasn't happened yet. It happened at the
weaves. She slammed the second pole so hard that she almost broke it,
and it spit her back out, flinging her about 5 feet backwards. That
majorly p*ssed her off and it took me 2 more tries to get her in. But
after that all bets were off. I pulled her shortly after as she was more
concerned about barking at me than about doing the course.

Yesterday she was much better on the opening, handling beautifully and
taking direction. But she didn't want to do the poles at all. Jumped up
on me once, I redirected her, she jumped up again and tried a tiny light
nip. First time she's actually used teeth in about 4 months. Off the
course we went. I did get a couple of photos from Saturday--note the
direction I'm trying to get her to go in gac2 versus the direction she's
actually going! (for the non-agility oriented, my left arm is up and my
body is turning toward the camera, I am trying to push her RIGHT.)

http://www.ddgraphix.com/cala/gac1.jpg
http://www.ddgraphix.com/cala/gac2.jpg