Walter Turken Training Program

Old March 4th 04, 10:01 PM
Tee

Default Walter Turken Training Program

Since many, many dogs are dumped in shelters do to lack of training, which
shows itself in one or more behavioral issues, I think its unrealistic to
wait on the dog to figure things out in a new home. Its unrealistic from
the new owners' viewpoint. If the previous owners didn't want to live with
this dog then why would new owners who have no bond and who aren't starting
with the benefit of falling for the puppy cuteness that normally makes
people a little more tolerant? I'd think the goal is to make the adoption a
lasting one and this means that spelling things out in a clear manner for
the dog, upfront, will be most effective. Obviously not all dogs have
behavioral problems and not all were dumped for them. I can't imagine
taking an untrained adolescent or adult dog from a shelter and using pure
positive training. I'd pull my hair out and want to give up on the dog
because there's a high likelihood of the dog not "getting it" for a long
time.

I'm not a huge fan of choke collars but I don't consider them inhumane
either. I *am* a huge fan of pinch collars because I've seen them work time
& again, fixing a serious pulling problem in a matter of days or weeks.
Using only treats and positive reinforcement wouldn't get those kinds of
results in so short a time. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be added to
the training but using that method alone, on a dog who you didn't raise &
who has an issue like that, seems like shortchanging the dog & the adoption
to me.

All dogs are different from personality, stubbornnes, intelligence,
trainability & genetics standpoints. Applying only one method of training
to all dogs is extremely unfair IMO. I'd no more use a pinch collar on a
very sensitive, easily discouraged, dog than I would use verbal commands &
treats only on a highly stubborn dog who views pulling & running off as more
reward than verbal praise & treats. Then there are the dogs who aren't so
bright upstairs that would take months to get even the most blatant of hints
from a person. Those are just some variables in dogs. Now think about the
human variables you get for adopters. Some don't have a ton of time to do
training exercises but they can still provide a home with the essentials and
lots of love when home. There are some who have time to train but will be
too lazy to bother. Some who have no clue & no desire to get a clue. What
happens if you pair up, unbeknownst to you, a lazy owner w/little patience &
a big, stubborn dog who isn't motivated by praise & treats?

I think that if you can get past your idea of what's humane & not inhumane
where dog training comes into play, and keep in mind that you're dealing in
dogs w/histories rather than puppies, then you'll see the benefits to
considering the usage of other training tools & methods when the situation
may warrant it.

--
Tara