What should we do when we are attacked by dogs? Re- A way to Control dogs?

Old March 5th 04, 09:24 PM
sionnach

Default What should we do when we are attacked by dogs? Re- A way to Control dogs?

Growling & barking does not mean the same thing, is it correct?

I believe that dogs growl when they are close to attacking someone, while
barking is just when some one comes near & it does not want the person he
considers as intruder to come in & is just warning him/her. Is it correct?

Not entirely. *Growling* is almost always either a warning or a threat,
but doesn't necessarily mean the dog is about to attack. Barking can mean
many different things, including that the dog is glad to see you and wants
you to pay attention it- and there are even a few dogs who make a growling
noise (without showing teeth) to greet people.
The dog's body language and facial expression are usually better
indicators of actual intent than the fact that the dog is making noise.

Is it the wrong thing to do when a dog comes to us barking or growling at
us to shoo it away with a rock or threaten it with a stick or a bag?

That is definitely the wrong thing to do- it can provoke a friendly dog
into seeing you as a threat, and a dog which already sees you as a threat or
intruder into attacking rather than merely telling you to go away.
Additionally, if the dog's owner plays games involving sticks, waving a
stick may make the dog think you want to PLAY, and (if the dog is poorly
trained) may result in the dog jumping up on you.

You're better off to avoid eye contact with the dog, and either stand
still or move away slowly.

Old March 6th 04, 12:29 PM
Chris Jung

"sionnach" wrote in message

Growling & barking does not mean the same thing, is it correct?

I believe that dogs growl when they are close to attacking someone,

while
barking is just when some one comes near & it does not want the person

he
considers as intruder to come in & is just warning him/her. Is it

correct?

Not entirely. *Growling* is almost always either a warning or a threat,
but doesn't necessarily mean the dog is about to attack. Barking can mean
many different things, including that the dog is glad to see you and wants
you to pay attention it- and there are even a few dogs who make a growling
noise (without showing teeth) to greet people.

Late last month, we had Dakota, a little American Eskimo visit us for a
week. American Eskimos are known for being barkers and Dakota really loves
to yip. Since endless yipping Is Not Allowed, she instead muttered &
growled all the time. And in addition to the growling, she was a smiler,
that is she was trying her best to imitate a human smile by raising her lips
and exposing her incisors and canines. She had an undershot jaw (her lower
jaw was too long which gave her a pugnacious look) and it really was an
impressive display of her teeth. I'm a dog person and yet I was quite taken
back when she first bared her teeth at me in greeting, accompanied by a
growl. But by the end of the week, I had figured 'Kota out and we would have
happy love sessions where I would scritch and fuss over her and she would
bare her teeth, sing a musical growl and try to lick my face. To an
outsider they would see a lady petting and playing with a snarling,
ferocious bundle of white psychotic fluff.

The dog's body language and facial expression are usually better
indicators of actual intent than the fact that the dog is making noise.

Yes, in Dakota's case, I could still tell that she was actually a friendly
and ultimately submissive dog by her ears (up "Hi!", down "oops sorry that
bark slipped out", up "What's next!", down "O you are going to pet me!
Bliss!"), her actions (confident, active yet soft), her eyes (i.e., soft,
not hard and staring) and her posture (again soft - not up and stiff). She
couldn't uncurl her tail but it would quiver when she was happy.

Chris and her mellow smoothie, Pablo

Old March 8th 04, 04:18 PM
Tom Royer

"sionnach" wrote in message

Growling & barking does not mean the same thing, is it correct?

I believe that dogs growl when they are close to attacking someone,

while
barking is just when some one comes near & it does not want the person

he
considers as intruder to come in & is just warning him/her. Is it

correct?

Not entirely. *Growling* is almost always either a warning or a threat,
but doesn't necessarily mean the dog is about to attack.

Or just frustration and irritation. My dog will growl when things aren't
going his way, like when the ball he's playing with rolls under the sofa.

Old March 8th 04, 07:52 PM
sionnach

"Tom Royer" wrote:
*Growling* is almost always either a warning or a threat,
but doesn't necessarily mean the dog is about to attack.

Or just frustration and irritation. My dog will growl when things aren't
going his way, like when the ball he's playing with rolls under the sofa.

To clarify, both the OP and I were specifically talking about situations
where a dog growls AT a human.

As you note, there are many other scenarios where growling can express
all sorts of things- including playfulness.

Today Julia Altshuler Dog behavior 124 February 25th 04 05:23 PM
A way to Control dogs? A Dog behavior 0 February 24th 04 08:02 PM
A way to Control dogs? A Dog behavior 0 February 24th 04 08:02 PM
A way to Control dogs? A Dog behavior 0 February 24th 04 08:02 PM