WILD Black Lab Mix!

Old March 10th 04, 12:14 PM
$uRoot

Default WILD Black Lab Mix!

Hello folks,

I've always had a dog, but have always had the good fortune of having them
from puppies on - making the task of training a lot easier.

In anticipation of our upcoming marriage, I recently started moving in with
my fiancé. She has a black lab mix - his name is Otis and he's about 10 /
11 months old. Size-wise, he appears to be fully grown. She got him from
the local animal shelter when he was a wee puppy, kept him in the house with
her until he started chewing everything up, then had a dog lot built for him
where's he's been living ever since (I would imagine for at least the last 6
/ 7 months). Regarding the dog lot, I've got to say that it's the largest
lot I've ever seen for one animal... don't have the dimensions but it's at
least 60'x30'.

Now, not to disparage my fiancé - truth is she really hasn't paid a lot of
attention to Otis since he got transferred to the lot. She's busy with work
and the fact that he lives in the lot, where he's more likely to get muddy,
hasn't helped things out. He really never got walked or had a lot of daily
loving, outside of his daily feedings.

I'm trying to change that. The guy is dying for attention and I'm trying to
walk him and pay as much attention to him as I can. As I understand it,
labs are hyper by nature - is this correct? Otis is by far the most hyper
dog I've ever seen and I don't know if it is due to the fact that he is
still a puppy, that he's a lab and that's just the way they are, that he
hasn't had a lot of attention - or a combination of all the above.

The two biggest problems I'm having with him a

a) Jumping - I'm not talking about just a friendly jump here folks. When
Otis jumps, he JUMPS on you like an attack dog... I've nearly been knocked
down a time or two... now, I don't think he does it out of malice, as he
loves to lick you while he's doing it... but it's still a nuisance. I've
heard that if you grab their front legs as they jump & hold them out that
will break them from jumping. Is that true? What else can I do to break
him from jumping all the time?

b) Chewing - This dog chews EVERYTHING... his dog house... your hands...
we're on our third collar... the leash... you name it. I try to keep him
stocked in chewy toys but he'll pretty much chew on anything he can get his
snout around.... is this something he will outgrow? I had considered taking
him to the vet, but Otis shows no signs of discomfort (e.g., teeth hurting
or whatever), so I think it's just a behavioral issue. What can I do about
this?

Given the facts above, what else can I do to help Otis become a more calm
and controllable dog? Just give it time & a lot of attention?

Thanks a bunch!

Will

Old March 10th 04, 01:31 PM
J1Boss

Given the facts above, what else can I do to help Otis become a more calm
and controllable dog? Just give it time & a lot of attention?

Thanks a bunch!

Will

Forget the dog lot and start treating him like a beloved family member. He's
starved for attention and walks out of his "dog lot" will not cure that. he
needs to learn how to live with you, IN THE HOUSE. If he can be safely
contained in his dog lot while you aren't home, so be it, but when you are
home, he belongs with YOU (and your fiance!).

He's jumping because he's overwhelmed with excitment about your presence.
Living with you will help curb that in itself, but OBEDIENCE TRAINING would
take care of the rest. Dogs who are sitting aren't jumping.

Good exercise - fetching and such. Not pacing around his yard like a maniac,
but aerobic, interactive exercise.

Labs are chewers. Once again - training, exercise, companionship.........

Janet Boss
Best Friends Dog Obedience
"Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
http://photos.yahoo.com/bestfriendsobedience

Old March 10th 04, 03:41 PM
Suja

$uRoot wrote:

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, having Otis in the house on a full time
basis is really out of the question at this point.

If he is okay being outside when you are not home, you can leave him
there for now while you are not home. Bring him in when you're home and
can keep an eye on him. With someone there to supervise him, he can't
get into too much trouble. Initially, you might want to keep him
tethered to you so that he won't wander too far and get into things
without you noticing it. If he decides to chew on something
inappropriate, interrupt him (No, uh-uh, whatever works) and re-direct
him towards something appropriate, like his chew toys or rawhide or
bones. Praise him when he makes the right decision. Dogs don't come
with any innate knowledge of what is and isn't appropriate to chew, so
it is up to us to teach them. As he learns the rules and starts to make
good choices, you can give him a little more freedom, eventually working
on bringing him inside full time. Lots of people crate train their dogs
so that they stay safe and don't get into too much trouble while the
humans are not home. You might also consider doing the same.

He will definitely benefit from a good basic obedience class, and your
trainer can also help you troubleshoot any behavior problems you run
into. He will also benefit from lots and lots of exercise, with
interaction and direction from you. A rousing game of fetch would help
him calm down a great deal. Take him out on walks and teach him good
leash manners. Lots of people take in adult rescues who have never seen
the inside of a house and turn them into good house pets, so you can
definitely do the same, if you are willing to put some effort into it.
Good luck.

Suja

Old March 10th 04, 06:27 PM
$uRoot

"J1Boss" wrote in message
[...]

basis is really out of the question at this point. The people who own the
house we live in (fiancés parents) have said NO WAY to him coming back in to
the house. He did some major damage chewing things up & that's how he ended
up in the dog lot. I agree, though, that having him around us would be the
best thing, but as circumstances have it - it just isn't possible right now.
I was hoping to be able to work with him and get him in such a shape that we
could show the in-laws that he wouldn't destroy the house... then, maybe
they'd agree to let us keep him inside again. So basically what you're
saying though is that he is going to chew no matter what? Not a lot I can
do about that? I think I will look in to obedience classes, that's a good
idea.

Thanks for the input. Any other suggestions appreciated as I'd love to make
Otis a full-fledged member of the family.

Will

belgians Jo Wolf Dog breeds 3 March 24th 04 02:10 AM
Black & flakey skin on Golden Retriver [email protected] Dog health 0 December 6th 03 03:03 PM
Black boxer genetics? BonnieTheCollie Dog breeds 26 November 3rd 03 10:59 PM
black vomit? Larry Mormino Dog health 4 August 15th 03 03:42 PM
black vomit? Larry Mormino Dog health 0 August 15th 03 01:35 AM