Corgi is abandoning the bedroom (long)

Old March 10th 04, 02:23 PM
Darryl Rehr

Default Corgi is abandoning the bedroom (long)

OK, experts, help us with this...

We have two Pembroke Welsh Corgis. One male (23 months), one female
(19 months). The female is definitely the dominant one.

Since the house has a doggy door to the outside, we have them sleep in
the bedroom with us at night. Usually this prevents them from running
outside and barking every time a cat or possum or squirrel decides to
run along the fence. If there has been a restless few nights when they
went out to bark anyway, we may close the bedroom door to keep them
in, re-establishing the calm pattern.

Until a few days ago, this was working just fine. The dogs obediently
went to bed on command every night.

However... it changed suddenly. My wife had the female in bed with
her, cuddling before bedtime. When it came time to "go to bed," we put
her down, gave the "go to bed" command so that each dog would go to
the proper bed (baskets with cushions on the floor). The female,
however, would not do it. She kept coming to our bed, putting her paws
on the edge, "asking" to get up into our bed. We wouldn't let her do
it. That night, she kicked the male out of his usual bed, and slept
there. He apparently didn't mind and just flopped down on another side
of the room on the floor (and later slept in HER bed). The male
accepts her dominant behavior just fine.

Since then, the female has tried to find other places to sleep. One
night she slept into my backyard office (also supplied with a pet
door). When I closed that off, she slept in a crate that we have in
another part of the house (a cozy spot that both dogs like).

I have tried to re-establish the "go to bed" command, with limited
success. When it's time to do this, she is usually outside. When I
begin with "come," she hesitates big time... tries to go into my
office (but the pet door is blocked). Another time, she hid in a place
that was difficult for us to get to. Getting her to come takes extra
effort: offer of a game of fetch (which she loves), better-tasting
treats (cut up lowfat hot dogs).

I can now get her to come, but I have had to carry her to the bedroom.
This she accepts, and finds a place on the floor next to the bed to
sleep (one night on my side, one night on my wife's side). Different
each of the past few nights. None of them in her usual bed (but it's
been hot here in L.A., so that could be the reason - the bed might be
too warm). We close the door and all is OK

However, when I get up to use the bathroom (typical for middle-age
males, right?), both dogs try to follow me out. The male has almost
always done this, and always comes back shortly to return to bed. The
female has never done this before. If we tell her to "stay" she will.
If we let her out, she will not return to the bedroom. In the
morning, she will appear from wherever she has spent her night (I have
to sleep, too... so I don't know where).

During the day, there is no problem with our dog-human relationship.
Both dogs come, sit, stay, do tricks on command. The female stays
closer to us as she always has, and wants more cuddling as she always
has.

I am puzzled by her new night behavior. I thought dogs wanted to
sleep with "the pack." I feel like there is something new at work
here, and, though it is essential that we keep control (so we don't
have a barking dog keeping us and the neighbors up all night), I don't
want to be completely frustrating something that is normal and
natural for her.

Comments?

Darryl Rehr
(please reply to dcrehr-aht-earthlink-daht-net. Hotmail e-mails always
ignored)
Old March 10th 04, 04:57 PM
Kathryn Walker

Hi Darryl....not an expert here, but couldn't you just block the dogdoor
with access to the yard and let your girl sleep where she wants? Some
dogs just want to find their own spot...and it will probably be easier
on you too.
Scritchies to your pups.

Kathryn

Old March 11th 04, 12:45 AM
Darryl Rehr

A-ha. I didn't mention the other perhaps-critical detail: our two
cats. We make them sleep outside the bedroom so that they can come and
go as they please, using the dog door. If we don't, they'll meow and
keep us awake. Managing the menagerie isn't easy is it!?!?! We might
be able to adapt something so the cats can get in and out, but the
dogs can't (hoping that when the cats are active at night, the dogs
don't go chasing them -- another reason to keep the pups in the
bedroom).

BUT, the bigger picture is this sudden behavior change, which we are
trying to interpret. At the moment, the female would rather not be in
the house at all, it seems and is exhibiting a new stubborn streak
about it (the extra effort it is taking to get her to "come").

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

DR

Old March 11th 04, 03:19 AM
culprit

"Darryl Rehr" wrote in message
om...
A-ha. I didn't mention the other perhaps-critical detail: our two
cats. We make them sleep outside the bedroom so that they can come and
go as they please, using the dog door. If we don't, they'll meow and
keep us awake. Managing the menagerie isn't easy is it!?!?! We might
be able to adapt something so the cats can get in and out, but the
dogs can't (hoping that when the cats are active at night, the dogs
don't go chasing them -- another reason to keep the pups in the
bedroom).

you could let her sleep in the crate at night, and simply shut the door so
she can't wander around...

BUT, the bigger picture is this sudden behavior change, which we are
trying to interpret. At the moment, the female would rather not be in
the house at all, it seems and is exhibiting a new stubborn streak
about it (the extra effort it is taking to get her to "come").

is she spayed? is the boy neutered? it could be hormonal...

-kelly

PING: Corgi owners Ray Dog behavior 132 March 11th 04 06:36 PM
PING: Corgi owners Ray Dog behavior 0 March 8th 04 04:01 AM
Overweight ? (Pembroke Welsh Corgi) Sam Dog health 18 November 26th 03 10:15 PM
Border Terrier long story and questions queenmother Dog behavior 30 July 31st 03 07:51 PM
We're baaaack (long) Kevin Michael Vail Dog behavior 10 July 17th 03 03:51 PM