Mini stroke

Old September 16th 03, 02:51 PM
Dog Lover

Default Mini stroke

My 14 yr old dog had a mini stroke today, eyes were jerking head tilted and
could not walk. I was prepared to put her down but the Vet seem to think
that she could recover. Anyone with similar experiences? Thanks

Old September 16th 03, 03:07 PM
dotmcs

My senior greyhound had what the vet referred to as a brain event. He
walked with his head tilted, seemed unable to make his legs on one side of
his body work, and was very confused. Over the next few days, he was almost
completely back to normal.

The way the vet put it is, dogs have no preconceived notions on how their
bodies are supposed to work, so when something doesn't work the way it once
did, they adapt...and are they ever good at that!

I encourage you to give your senior some time...she'll likely be pretty good
in a couple of days...they are amazing!

Old September 16th 03, 04:12 PM
dotmcs

In my guy's case, no medications were suggested. This vet did make the
comment that dogs don't have strokes as we know them...

Whatever...the effect was the same as near as I could tell...

Good luck with your girl!

Old September 16th 03, 04:18 PM
dotmcs

http://www.herbal-treatments.com.au/..._recovery_herb
al_treatment.html

I have heard good things about this fellow and his herbal mixtures. A
friend of mine had this man create an anti-cancer mixture for an aging dog
of hers. She has been cancer free for a couple of years now, as a result,
so he may be able to suggest something after seeing the references on the
page above.

To find this page, I entered 'canine strokes medication' into www.google
..com

In my guy's case, no medications were suggested.

Old September 17th 03, 01:11 AM
Lisa Belec

My dog had what the vet termed "idiopathic vestibular syndrome" - an
inner ear imbalance of unknown origin - that caused him to stumble and
his eyes to flicker up and down, and also a head-tilt. The vet said
that the tell-tale sign for vestibular syndrome is eyes flickering up
and down, not side-to-side....basically, he acted like he was drunk
(which he wasn't!) The eye motion seemed to be "trying to find the
ground" - he didn't know up from down. He recovered fully within a
couple weeks, although I've heard of cases where the head-tilt doesn't
entirely go away.

Things that seemed to help were keeping him in a well-lit room (except
for when sleeping), guiding him to food and water or holding the dishes
up to him (so he didn't have to bend down to get to them), and, when he
needed to be carried, having someone hold his feet. I know that last
one sounds weird, but it seemed to reduce his nervousness about being
carried (he wasn't often picked up!).

I hope this is what your dog has and that she recoveres as well as mine
did....

-Lisa