How to handle a problem

Old March 11th 04, 09:38 PM
Suja

Default How to handle a problem

This is sort of a dog problem, and sort of a dog owner problem. Someone
I am reasonably good friends with has a Smooth Fox Terrier (adult rescue
from a collector). He has a nipping problem (big surprise). He jumps
up and nips dogs that are running around, especially the ones that are
playing fetch. Fortunately for him, his "friends" will put up with a
lot of crap, so no harm done.

He also has a habit of nipping people. He goes for the people who are
generally active with their dogs and running around and playing with
them. He also gets people who bend over to pick up stuff, nailing them
on their behind. Generally, he restricts this behavior to people he
knows well, not to the general dog park visitors. Therein lies the
problem. I like to play soccer with my dogs, which of course involves
running and kicking. On Tuesday, he nailed me twice, hard enough to
leave a nice bruise through my pants, tights and hose, but not hard
enough to rip anything. I stopped him from nipping once, and he didn't
get my hand once only because I had my ski gloves on. Because of his
size and quickness, it is often quite impossible to correct him when he
does this. Every time he hurts me, Pan goes after him, but I call her
off because I don't want him to get hurt. After the last time, let's
just say that I'm entertaining thoughts of letting her eat him if she
wants.

Now, the owner is generally someone whom I consider a responsible dog
owner. The dog is quite well behaved, except for this one quirk. He is
her absolute blind spot, and he is her angel who can do no wrong. I
have told her nicely that she really need to keep an eye on him so that
he doesn't get the opportunity to do this, and that if he ever does this
again, I will not be so nice about it (this is not the first time he's
done it, although this is the first time he's left such a large bruise).
I consider her to be a friend, and she is good friends with other
friends of mine, and while we all concur that the dog's behavior (and
her response) is unacceptable, we are not quite sure how to address it.
I don't want to cause any friction among the group. If I could train
the little **** out of the nasty habit myself, I will do it. But how do
you teach a terrier not to nip?

Suja

P.S. It feels like I might have written about this already. If so,
apologies, but I still need some solid ideas on what to do.

Old March 12th 04, 08:56 PM
Sunflower

"Suja" wrote in message

[...]

I'm more of a cat person than a dog person and training a terrier is beyond
my current limitations, but I do think I know how to get your friend to take
this seriously. Take a couple of close up pics of your bruise isolated by
itself and have them blown up to 8x10 size and show them to her as a "dog
bite case" you're trying to help with. Ask her if she's got any suggestions
about how to get a terrier to stop nipping, just like you asked us here.
Don't tell her that the pics are from her own dog until she's come up with
some suggestions for you to use in "your case". Then gently tell her that
the case you're trying to help with is her own dog. If she can't see things
objectively at that point, then I think it's time to mention that her
homeowners insurance would undoubtedly go up or be cancelled if this dog
bit someone who wanted to take her to court about it, not to mention dealing
with animal control or whomever has jurisdiction of dog bite cases in your
municipality. If she can't see the possible impact to her own pocketbook,
then she's a hopeless case.

Old March 13th 04, 06:04 AM
Jazztptman

Suja, you have remarkable patience. The first time this little mutt chomped on
my buns, I would have told the owner in no uncertain terms to train the dog or
keep it home and not bring it to the park or play area where this is happening.

Don't worry about the owners feelings, she needs to wake up and smell the
coffee. You can point out how you are saving her from an expensive lawsuit or
nedical bills if her little baby actually harms another dog or person.

One thought, put a piece of plywood in your pants (OK, not the best fashion
statement you can make, but effective) and give the little fella a real
surprise next time he nips. Sounds like he is aiming at peoples butts just as a
dominance thing if he does this to several different people.
Bernie

Old March 14th 04, 12:49 PM
dogsnus

Suja wrote in news:A744c.49541$UU.12508@lakeread01:

I consider her to be a friend, and she is good friends with other
friends of mine, and while we all concur that the dog's behavior (and
her response) is unacceptable, we are not quite sure how to address it.
I don't want to cause any friction among the group. If I could train
the little **** out of the nasty habit myself, I will do it. But how do
you teach a terrier not to nip?

I think, in this case, friend or not,it's time to address the owner
since it isn't your dog and your friend isn't doing anything about it.
It's a type of behavior that would make me a bit warm under the collar.
It's not the dog's fault, but then neither is it the fault of a bratty
kid who has never been taught manners.

There's nothing wrong with being honest with friends. I would turn
to her and seriously mention "You know? I really do NOT like that
and it's really upsetting me that you let him continue doing it."
"If you don't do something about it, then the next time he does it,
I will. I am NOT a chew toy for your dog."
This would be said in a very firm voice, dripping with decision,
finality and oh so polite,no smile on my face, not even a small
mouth lift.
If that caused friction, then friction be damned.

But then, I'm known for being blunt when pushed beyond the limits
of politeness. I'll put up with a lot and overlook a lot, but after that
limit has been abused...

That is what I would do.

Terri